Author Topic: W7 PC Infected ? FarBar Attached  (Read 6594 times)

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: W7 PC Infected ? FarBar Attached
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »
Nothing showing in those logs with the exception of the following (your choice on these):
FF Extension: All Aboard - C:\Users\Ashley K\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\27dcl0zs.default\Extensions\@all-aboard-v1 [2016-07-18] - related to network connection sharing ????

Task: {451C4470-E880-44E3-9441-EA2C2C1DCBE0} - \SidebarExecute -> No File <==== ATTENTION - Windows Sidebar is recommended to be disabled due to gadgets not being secured

Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
Well defrag ran all day and barely got thru the analyze phase.
Windows update even after FIXIT still shows to RETRY with RED X....
I'm trying the bulk update MSI you gave me link on....letting it run over night.
If this does not process then I'm going to go ahead and just reload the O/S (Format & Clean Install).
Something has this machine hosed down and a In-Place Upgrade and these other efforts have had little result.
The PC is old and not much on it.

I'll let you know if Windows Update finally runs.

I disabled Windows Gadgets: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3255/disable-sidebar-desktop-gadgets-on-windows-7/
I just installed FF...what is the issue there to fix ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:42:44 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:15 AM »
OK...thins are in good order except Windows Update does not work.
If I stop or disable the Windows Update Service the PC "springs" to life....call it even quick...wow !
If I enable/start the service the "update checking" runs for hours with no result and PC SLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW.  :-[
Here is thread I've been reading.
http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates
Funny thing is I downloaded the single KB3161664 update and it ran and installed quickly.
The Windows Update screen in Control Panel show Red X with message to update to latest updates.
The history shows the one KB above.
I could expect this since I use the reset Wizard.
Think I may try some manual updates and see.
Any thoughts ?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:47 AM »
This tool has the ability to reset / repair quite a few errors (deals with files / permissions / registry fixes).  While it CAN do quite a lot at one time, I would suggest you try just the Registry Permissions, Windows update and WMI fixes (#1, 17 and 21).

Please download "Windows Repair - All in One" from here.  Please choose "Save file.." if you get options to open the file.   Once the download is complete, run the file and install the program on your system.  Please use the default settings for locations as it will help with log retrieval and fixing the registry should anything be needed.

Right click on the desktop shortcut for "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" and select 'Run as administrator'.

The program will run a self check to make sure that all the correct files are in place for it to run and then it will load the program.  As you can see, there are many steps to take in using this program.  Mainly, the first few steps involve checking for proper Windows files and backing up the system as a precaution.

You can read the notes on the first screen but the important thing to do is click on "ReBoot to Safe Mode" and allow the system to restart itself.  Once the system is started in safe mode and you have logged in (using an administrative level account), restart the program and move onto the Step2 screen.

Please click on "Open Pre-Scan" to load a utility to verify some Windows resource / build files and settings.

Click on "Start Scan" and allow the routine to run.  You can see the status of the checks in the window.

When the routine is finished, it will report on any problems found and you can click on the appropriate repair button if needed.  Once this is done, you can close this window and click on Step3.

Click on the "Check" to see if a repair disk check routine needs to run.  A Command Prompt window will open and you can view the status of the routine.  If the routine finds that repairs need to be made, please select "Open Disk Check at Next Boot" and then click on the "Reboot To Safe Mode" button.  Once the routine(s) completes, please select Step4.

Please click on "Do It" to run a SFC /scannow routine.  If the routine makes any repairs, please reboot your system (again into Safe Mode).  If the routine does not make any repairs, please move onto Step5.

Once there, click on "Backup" under the 1. Registry Backup.  This will make a complete backup of the current registry which can be reloaded should anything go wrong with the repairs that are going to be made.  Next, click on the "Create" under 2. System Restore.  Once both of these backups are made, select Repairs.

I would suggest that you read the Tips For The Best Repairs Results.  Once this is done, click on "Open Repairs".

On this screen, click the following: Defaults.  The screen and options should look very much like the picture above.  Click "Start Repairs" and confirm that the program starts running the fixes.  This will take a while to run, so you can let it run unattended if you like.  Log files are being recorded as the repairs are being executed.  Once the repairs are finished, reboot your system (normal boot now) and tell me how it is running now.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »
Thx....I will get to that tool......but first..........

I found a Macrium Image backup from mid 2015.....nothing really changes a lot on this PC and have tons of attempts to fix Windows Update I punted and did the image restore.  The PC was VERY quick.  So I decided to uninstall Avast 9 and put new one on.  I also uninstalled a lot of old programs too to clean things up....plus, your suggestion on Q7.
All done.....have not run MBAM or Avast scan or ADWCleaner....or SFC or Defrag......but wanted to run a FRST log to have you clean up items first.  See attached.

It runs better but funny thing not as fast after the re-image.

I also have not tried Windows Update "search "but Control Panel does not have Red X.....maybe good sign.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »
I'm not detecting any malware in those logs.  I would advise to turn off the Sidebar but that is a personal choice.  Let me know how the Update (OS) goes.  Looks good.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
I did disable gadgets by going into "Windows Features" and unclicking + reboot
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3255/disable-sidebar-desktop-gadgets-on-windows-7/
Ran SFC...no issue, ran CHKDSK and some small stuff so did a /F on reboot....fixed....runs faster.
Installed MBAE......have MBAM Pro, Avast 12.x, CryptoPrevent as my A/V-MW items....balance of free, fast, good.

I need to run AdwCleaner, MBAM & Avast Full Scans.
After that a LONG Defrag....guessing HDD is fragged big time.
Then, try MS Updates.
All goes well.....and FAST....a Macrium Image backup.  :)

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »
Sounds good and solid thinking. 

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »
Wow, took 2.5 days to defrag......20 passes......analysis took almost 8 hours and first pass about 12 hours.....Wow !
Prior to this both the online Update and mass local EXE update just spun and spun.
Once defrag done....was MUCH quicker....rebooted.....PC settled and after about 2 minutes "Updates Notice" popped up in system tray.  Yeah !!!!
Still have to run full Avast Scan.

I've had problems with W7 updater in past on other machines being slow to link so I now think there is relationship between speed of machine and Windows Server.
I'm now performing 1GByte updates since mid-2015 (my image date)....from there probably Avast Full then Defrag, then image.
Funny thing is....this PC has a scheduler for Defrag weekly but may have been just too much cr@p on machine for it to have done the items it needed properly.

I'll keep you posted.....thx !!!!

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 06:52:05 AM »
I've seen that in the past and with all the real-time defrag software out nowadays, have forgotten how much work 'maintaining' the system to help it run smoothly actually was.  Good to see that this is working out for you.  Glad we could be of some assistance and let us know how it goes.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
OK....weird.....it said it downloaded 1GByte updates but then got stuck on installing 12 or some large #.
I had to reboot and then it only showed couple updates including framework with alot failed.
I did the one W7 it showed first...then framework.....both installed.
Showed on reboot no updates.....which is BS.
I ran check and local install package and again just ran and ran.
Was able to run MBAM...1.5 hours.....and Avast 12 FULL....9.2hours...scans and OK...but obviously VERY long.
I ran SFC....no problems.
So, going back and running Defrag......seeing what happens after that.

Not sure what is going on..........it was running VERY quick after last defrag.

I'll keep plugging along.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
I seem to remember that I had to throttle the updates in Win7 more than once or it would hang.  Seems that MS and Win7 couldn't handle more than 10 updates at time.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 06:44:19 PM »
I seem to remember that I had to throttle the updates in Win7 more than once or it would hang.  Seems that MS and Win7 couldn't handle more than 10 updates at time.

Good tip.....doing defrag now......will "hopefully" get updates to come up again......if so, will limit to 8 check per time.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »
OK...defragged again...this time only one day. :)
...and YES...Windows Updates popped up....but now doing 3-5 a time.....only 150 to go.  :o

Not sure where you are located and if you are a Big Bang Theory show fan....but this clip comes to mind.  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpnsE_83fU

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 05:13:52 AM »
7000 updates?  That's a good one; thanks for the "pause that refreshes" !!!