Author Topic: chrome won't start nor mozilla  (Read 2826 times)

REDACTED

chrome won't start nor mozilla
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:18:30 PM »
Since I last update avast chrome was not starting and kept opening various pages and e unresponsive. Nor did mozilla but at least the last time I tried and partly succesfully opened mozilla it told me it was crashing due to avast trying to installing plug-ins and that is how I figured out that it was not just chrome being fussy but that something had gone wrong with the avast installation.

The funny thing is that avast safe browser was installed as the other components, this is based on chrome, it seemed to work just fine while my normal chrome kept not responding. This made me feel like avast was forcing me to use "their" browser.

I am very unhappy about this, I feel lucky I didn't install any plug ins for my least favourite browser, internet Explorer. I idownloaded another antivirus in case I needed to completely unistall avast.

I have unistalled the browsers plug in and the safe browser... finally both chrome and mozilla works without having to reinstalling them. You have to improve something here because it's only out of luck that I didn't update or install plug ins on internet Explorer and I was therefore able to look up for a solution (which yes it was inspired by this forum). I am not a computer genious  so the reason I am writing this is for people like myself.

REDACTED

Re: chrome won't start nor mozilla
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
I actually have an update> chrome seemed to work fine but did not. I have tried reinstalling that and did not work. I have unistalled some other avast componenst and it still did not work. In the end I unistalled avast completely and now it works.

I think avast is a valid and reliable antivirus, I don't understand why it was making chrome unresponsive.

On a side note you might be interested in knowing that on my machine there's windows 8.1 installed.
Internet explorer works as an app (meaning is launched from the app menu) while chrome and Mozilla have been installed as desktop programs (I know for a fact you can install chrome as an app, would a plug in for that differ from the desktop installation and create conflict I wonder!? again I know nothing about computers so have fun investigating the real issue here).

I will consider reinstalling avast if you can suggest what would be the best way to avoid conflicts with browsers, thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
The funny thing is that avast safe browser was installed as the other components, this is based on chrome
No, the avast SafeZone Browser is not based on Chrome (=browser) but on Chromium (=engine).

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »
ok I see they look similar but cromium is opensource and does not have automatic update for pugins etc. So definitely that does not suit the way I use my computer.