Author Topic: Where is scan history?  (Read 14816 times)

REDACTED

Where is scan history?
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:24:22 AM »
Win 10 Avast Internet Security
After running a scan I can see the history by clicking the Avast icon, selecting "scan for viruses" and then selecting "scan history." Where is the history stored, so I can look at it directly?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Where is scan history?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:44:20 AM »
You could follow Avast interface > Scans > Scan for viruses > History (at the bottom).
If that does not full your needs, I suppose you need to configure a report file in the scan settings...
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »
As I said in my post I'm trying to shortcut viewing the history. I've not had luck setting a report file in the scan settings but I'll try again. Will the scan settings accept a path, eg: C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Filename?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
Scan result (and other things) are stored in the log files.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
A search of this site and Google do not reveal any "log" file. The report files are located in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report. I'm not looking for the report, I'm looking for the "Scan History." If a scan does not find anything there is no report -- unless I opt to show all the OK Items, which would be absurd.

Well, thanks anyway for your help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
As I said in my post I'm trying to shortcut viewing the history. I've not had luck setting a report file in the scan settings but I'll try again. Will the scan settings accept a path, eg: C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Filename?

Whilst I have never tried to set a location, but I believe it only allows you to set a file name, by leaving the * for the file name, that takes the file name from the Scan name, so it should make it easier to find. If it were to allow a folder selection, I would assume it use the explorer style navigation window to select the folder.

However, your example (even if it allowed folder selection) of trying to place it in the admin sub-folders, I suspect that it would block that anyway unless you were running/logged on as the admin. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs - Generally it isn't advised to run as admin unless you have a specific task that requires it.

As you mentioned - Scan logs are located in the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report folder - but I believe that is where the scan history would get its data from.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »
Thanks again for your detailed reply. I was wrong in saying that the report is not made if there are no hits. So I have made a shortcut to the report by name and that will serve the purpose.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:55:43 AM »
Yes, if there are no hit (detections) or any files that can't be scanned there is no detail to be reported (Detailed report button is greyed out) in the Scan history.

But select the scan you want to view using the scroll list of scans does give very basic information, Duration, number of files and folders scanned and total data scanned.

You can customise what is included in the report (but the file gets big very quick) and presumably the other data should be available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 02:42:08 AM »
Aha! Now I see the word "log." On the title of the Scan History. So the log is an abbreviated summary of the report file, just for display and not actually a file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
Aha! Now I see the word "log." On the title of the Scan History. So the log is an abbreviated summary of the report file, just for display and not actually a file.

Yes, that is correct, it is an extract from the actual file and not the file itself. Though the log file will have the same name (plus .txt) in the log file location (that you created the shortcut to view the file).