Author Topic: Limited Avast use on 2nd computer?  (Read 12632 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Limited Avast use on 2nd computer?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks Jarmo it certainly reminded me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 07:53:40 PM »
Heh, was maybe intented to someones more newbies than you or others participating this thread, but glad i did not offend you :P

It is a nice Flash animation from Avast team or who ever made it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 07:56:44 PM »
No I meant the clearing of the HTTP redirect ;D, but yes the Tutorials are very good much easier than trying to explain what to do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

poirot

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 04:47:43 PM »
After a lot of examined posts both here and at the old Sygate forum about the proxy problem i decided to heed Jarmo P (and others)advice and ,in order to fend off the threat  of not being informed about outgoing connections by Sygate, i just blanked the redirect space which numbers 80 by default inside WebShield  custom tab.
This is enough to be sure no browser,in my case either Firefox or IE,if they're set to Ask in the  appropriate section of a firewall, can access the web without consent.
In my case,iìm glad to have to make a few clicks more and be sure of what  is going out.   And also of keeping WebShield alive and checking!

Jarmo P

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 08:40:30 PM »
In my case,iìm glad to have to make a few clicks more and be sure of what  is going out.   And also of keeping WebShield alive and checking!

I am not sure you understand that if you only did empty that redirected field and didn't set any manual proxy connection setting to any of the browsers you use, then why run web shield at all?
It does not protect from anything else than browser http traffic. You can stop the provider if it is not used and save a little RAM memory.

poirot

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 12:03:41 PM »
You have good reasons to doubt about my understanding the workings of WebShield,but,no,i'm aware of what you say and i tried first without any browser proxy,then at the moment i had 'proxied' Firefox and i am asked the same way,as expected, so its ok.   I was planning to administer a 127.0.0.1 + 12080 to IE as well today,as i use it just two or three timees a month.

ps-i had before my eyes the 02-21-05 Sygate forum  thread where Sded & Jarmo P were talking about these matters in detail.

Jarmo P

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »
You have good reasons to doubt about my understanding the workings of WebShield,but,no,i'm aware of what you say and i tried first without any browser proxy,then at the moment i had 'proxied' Firefox and i am asked the same way,as expected, so its ok.

You sure should not be asked from Sygate if web shield is working for you and that manual proxy setting you made for FF is correct one?

If you made it right, go to
http://eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

and try those zipped files there.

If avast webshield warns you instead the standard shield and web shield is working, it should be an abort connection message.
Nothing else, not to put it to virus guarantee or any.

There is nothing you can do to the loss of outbound connection control SPF to browser that is proxied by web shield. You wont get asked. Period!

But I allow my firefox to internet and connections get logged as ashwebsv.exe entries in sygate traffic log. So not that bad since IE is not proxied.

poirot

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »
Jarmo,you're right ,i was too quick in saying it was still warning, matter of fact it did once, then i posted,then i wasnt at the pc the whole day, when i came back i realised of the sad truth.......
Firefox,redirerected,dont ask anything,whereas IE does,but its not redirected.
Other applications do.
The avast IMAP E mail scanner is very good and warns quite efficiently about suspicious mails.
On the other hand,i dont want to  give up the outgoing control........
what could be done  was done,now i have to think....  thanks to everyone who helped,
i dont feel like pulling the cord any longer to the risk of annoying readers.

Jarmo P

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »
You don't annow anyone reading here.
But Firefox protection you had was real.
Email protection is more like based on heuristics.

With avast web shield you should feel safe, as you tested on that test virus I gave you.
I have experienced that also on some web page that got a java script trojan. So from experience, I really recommend it to you.

EDIT
Other applications will sure ask you from Sygate, just not one browser you have proxied by manual web shield  configuration. Not so big thing with Firefox I think?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 12:45:47 AM by Jarmo P »

poirot

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 12:34:08 PM »
Yes Jarmo, the Web Shield springs into action  a second after clicking the eicar.zip downloads (i didnt reach the point of downloading,WS stopped it before), really impressive. so it is fully working.

I tried the Gibson's Leak Test as well,but here,being in the realm of trojans, BOClean stops it cold and deletes it afterwards when i let it do it, BC is the latest version 4.20.03, and it gives other programs no chance to intervene.

You're probably right,i could feel safe in spite of the   'minor'    fault....