Author Topic: Do I need to scan outgoing mail  (Read 3462 times)

pejj

Do I need to scan outgoing mail
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »
To avoid a possible bug which I hope is being fixed, (ref my recent topic on PMAIL), helpers on the PMAIL forum suggest that I should not - do not need - to scan outgoing mail.  Any thoughts on that idea ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Do I need to scan outgoing mail
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »
In a word Yes.

Scanning outbound email: one helps stop the spread of infection; two can give you an indication of an undetected infection that turns your system in to a Spam machine sending out multiple emails that without outbound checks you wouldn't even be aware of and risk being banned by your ISP for spamming; three you should try to resolve the problem rather than ignore the symptom and increase the risk to others.

All I can suggest relating to your other thread is to check you are connected before sending email.
Do you still have OE or another email program?
If so you could try to replicate this problem by trying to send email whilst not connected and see if this too dissapears, which I feel it won't. I use OE and if I try to send email whilst offline it ask if I want to connect.

The problem as far I can see (from briefly reading your thread) is, one you don't get this off-line warning from PMAIL if you try to send email when not connected, two once sent PMAIL assumes that's it, it has been send and deletes the entry and doesn't wait for a received response from the email server, which it won't get because you are off-line. Does it save a copy of the email in the sent items folder? - if so you can surely resend that?

So to sumarise, to kill outbound scans to overcome something that only happend when you forget to check you are connected seems overkill, yes if this was happening every time or there were issues when you were on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:37:26 PM »
pejj, can you test the betaversion if it solves your problem?
Thanks.

pejj

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
Yes Igor, I have installed beta, and problem does not occur.  Instead I get the error dialogue which ends with 'cannot connect to SMTP server onetel.net' which is as it should be.
I seem to remember that this is what I used to get before the last program update on 20 Dec 05- maybe that was the culprit.  If so, thanks.  If not, well, at least we all tried. ;D
Now, was I supposed to get a smiley there ??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
I think it may well have resolved the issue, but did you update your PMAIL you said you were  using 4.3 and vojtech testes with 4.31 with no issue.
I tested Pegasus 4.31 and the message always stayed in the queue when it could not be sent out.

A .01 update (4.3 to 4.31) is likely to include bug fixes, improvements, etc. not to mention it is usually best to keep your programs up to date.

A belated welcome to the forums
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security