Author Topic: concurrent connection limit in avast !  (Read 7650 times)

REDACTED

concurrent connection limit in avast !
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:35:51 PM »
Hello!
When i´m trying to send an email with thunderbird it is failing and give me this report:

concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[36], svchost.exe[6]).

I dont know how to serve the problem. Can someone help me?

Thanx!

Häufig (nicht immer) kommt beim senden einer mail mit thunderbird diese Fehlermeldung:

Fehler beim Senden der Nachricht: Der Mail-Server sendete eine ungültige Begrüßung: concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[36], svchost.exe[6]).

Entsprechend kann ich diese mails nicht mehr senden und komm nicht drauf wie dieses Problem zu lösen ist. Wer kann mir weiter helfen?
Vielen Dank vorab!
Torsten
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:02:02 AM by torstenvolker »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: concurrent connection limit in avast !
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »
I use Thunderbird and don't experience this nor am I seeing svchost.exe being involved in email sending/retrieval (generally I only see svchost.exe in relation to windows updates).

When concurrent connections are exceeded, avast can't actually scan prior to sending/receiving. Are you only experiencing this during sending ?

- Concurrent Connections Error: You could modify the EmailShield.ini file using notepad, C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista, Win7 or later), this location may be hidden, depending on your windows explorer settings (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View)

Find the [EmailScanner] section and insert a new line after the section heading, and enter this MaxConnections=75 (if that line exists you can change the value to 75). Save the changes, the avast self-defence will ask if it is OK answer yes.

[EmailScanner]
MaxConnections=75

The default concurrent connection limit is 50 (for mail & news together). This limit exists not to save resources, but to prevent connection looping in strange configurations, so the user can increase it without worry to, for instance, 75. The value 0 disables the limit. That said your number of concurrent connections is under 50, so I don't know why you would be getting this error.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »
Hello David !
First of all thanks to your reply! I tried to do my best, i found the emailshield.ini file using notepad/editor but i after i had add the line with MaxConnections=75 it was not able to safe ! :-[ Do you have an other suggestion to me? Would be so great!
Greetings!
Torsten

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
Disable avast's self defense and try again.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:30 AM »
Disable avast's self defense and try again.

Once you press OK, Allow the change to happen. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
Hello David !
First of all thanks to your reply! I tried to do my best, i found the emailshield.ini file using notepad/editor but i after i had add the line with MaxConnections=75 it was not able to safe ! :-[ Do you have an other suggestion to me? Would be so great!
Greetings!
Torsten

You can actually get away without  disabling the self-defence module, but there is another couple of hoops you would have to jump through.

1. the modification must be done using notepad.exe (no other text editor).
2. you must run notepad.exe as the administrator (this I failed to mention) and then open the emailshield.ini file and make the modifications.

That should allow the changes to be saved.
But disabling the self-defence module first before the modification is less hassle.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
Helloo Bob. David and Eddy !

I didi it exactly like you mentioned to me, but i still can´t safe the changings. Grrrrr. The Version from David i dind´t understand really.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
1. So you disabled the avast self-defence module (avast should seek confirmation) ?

2. If you did disable it, did you use windows notepad.exe ?
That should have let you modify it, but some OSes versions (not avast) may block the changes.

3. Did you run notepad.exe as administrator ?
You have to search for notepad.exe, then right click on the file and select as. This opens another Window and you select to run as Administrator and enter your password.

Once you have opened notepad.exe as the administrator, File > Open use the explorer window to navigate to the emailshield.ini, select it and click the Open button.