Author Topic: Web Shield Not Scanning  (Read 4287 times)

r03922

Web Shield Not Scanning
« on: January 23, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »
I am running Avast 4,6 Home Edition on a Dell Inspiron 8000 and using a Dial Up connection.
My problem is that the WebShield does not scan. The scanned count stays at 0 even though I have gone to many different Web Sites.

I am using Windows XP Pro, Zone Alarm Free Fire Wall. Also to add all other Resident providers are scanning properly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield Not Scanning
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:34:13 PM »
Did you disable web shields transparent proxy when you saw the Zone Alarm compatibility alert?

If you did, you shouldn't have needed with the ZA free version. So you would either need to manually configure your browser/s to use the web shield proxy or re-enable the transparent proxy in the avast4.ini file.
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html
ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

I assume that you are able to browse web pages, just that they aren't being scanned?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

r03922

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the information. I can browse web pages with no problem and did not disable the web shields transparent proxy with Zone Alarm. I'll try to reconfigure the browser.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:36:54 PM »
Check the avast4.ini file in the [WebScanner] section and locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and if it exists delete that line.

For manual browser set-up check the relevant tutorial:
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 11:49:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »

Hi David ... it was good of you to include those tutorial links for those that do not know.    :)