Author Topic: Firewall recommendations?  (Read 15479 times)

SteveD

Firewall recommendations?
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »
Hi,

I have recently installed V 4.6 and it seems fine so far. (I previously used Norton Int. Security 2005 & systemworks 2005 and had just too many problems that crippled my laptop and made Office (2000)unusable. (The result of a corrupt file in an update download!!).

My question is, although I am currently using the Windows Firewall, I realize this is weak to say the least; do I need to replace this with something else & if so what recommendations are there out there that is compatable. I have tried zone alarm pro (trial) and it caused issues like Norton. Also, any suggestions for a spam filter (outlook 2000)? I have tried McAffees but was not too impressed (but then I was still having the Zone Alarm problems at that time.)

Any help & suggestions will be much appreciated.

(Thanks for CharlieO for directing me to the right part of the forum for this post!)

Mastertech

Re: Firewall recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:29:23 PM »
The Windows XP SP2 Firewall is perfectly fine. Just make sure you have SP2 installed! Otherwise check out Zonealarm but you will take some performance hit with any third party firewall. Definitely move away from Norton Products.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:40:47 PM »
Hi SteveD,

No the firewall in Windows XP SP2 is not perfectly fine, it can at the utmost  be termed as acceptable. The inward protection is fine, but the other way around this is not so. This will first be realized in Vista where Windows will present a more complete firewall protection, important for stopping  malicious nodes that seek a way out.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »
You have to be infected with something before worrying about something leaving your system. For the average user it is perfectly fine since all attacks originate on the outside. Simply don't allow exceptions.

Offline Chuck58

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:47:08 PM »
Windows firewall is okay, but it's primarily for inbound protection, like Visnetic/Deerfield, Ghostwall, and some others.

I use ZA free at the moment and notice very little hit on my resources. If you don't mind paying, LooknStop is an excellent firewall, very light on resources, and worth checking out.

Personally, I like the latest ZA free. I'm running an older machine, 1.3 AMD Athlon and 512 RAM and have no complaints. ZA Pro hits me a bit harder, plus causes some sort of conflict with AVAST so I haven't enabled my license for ZA Pro.
Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

Staind

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »
I think if you have an up to date anti virus (avast!) and applications to deal with spyware windows firewall is fine - I've never had any problems with it.  Currently, I'm using comodo firewall, which is free.  I would recommend this for general users, but if you use a lot of programs that require port forwarding (ie. p2p programs and bittorrent) it is not recommended.

Hope this helps!

SteveD

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
Thanks to both Mastertec & Polonus,

I must admit my impression was that windows firewall only did the incoming aspect.

I am fully patched with SP2 and all other updates including Media player and office updates.

So; if Windows firewall is limited what really works?

neal62

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »
Steve, I would recommend that you get another firewall, paid for version or a free version to use on your pc. The windows built in firewall is adequate only for incoming occurrences. Anything that might be requested from your pc "outbound wise" needs a firewall that can block the "outbound" request. Wins XP firewall does not do this. Use your own judgement irregardless of what you may read in this thread, but I definitely would consider a 3rd party firewall for adequate protection.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:58:36 PM by neal63 »

SteveD

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »
fair comment Mastertec.

Thanks Chuck58, I tried ZA pro on trial and it caused me to lose access to the whole of Office (2000) and gave me an unstable "windows subsystem" error; but I have not tried the free version.

Hi Staind, I've not come across that one, but I'll bear it in mind.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »

Actually, not all infections of malware come through the firewall. That happens only if you download something from the internet.

You can also get maleware from cd's that you load into your computer ... whether they be bought commercially or one made by someone who gives you the cd(s) to use. In this way, malware is now on your computer and can go out to the internet giving out info about your computer, your browsing habits or, worse yet, personal info.

Please be safe and use another firewall in addition to the Windows firewall.

SteveD

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:57:34 PM »
Hi neal63,

I'm inclined to agree that I need something a little more "robust". ZA free seems the most popular choice so far...unless there are any other opinions??

SteveD

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:12 PM »
Hi again CharlieO,

a good point and one I am careful to be proactive about!

Offline Chuck58

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01:55 PM »

Actually, not all infections of malware come through the firewall. That happens only if you download something from the internet.

You can also get maleware from cd's that you load into your computer ... whether they be bought commercially or one made by someone who gives you the cd(s) to use. In this way, malware is now on your computer and can go out to the internet giving out info about your computer, your browsing habits or, worse yet, personal info.

Please be safe and use another firewall in addition to the Windows firewall.

Very true. My last computer, a brand new HP with Win XP, had IAMBIGBROTHER keylogger installed on it. I found it immediately, before even going online, when I installed SpyBot S&D.

I reported it to HP and they denied having anything to do with it, and contacted CompUSA where I got the computer. They too pled innocent. The moral, I guess, trust nothing.
Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

neal62

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 09:03:08 PM »
Well Steved I use Comodo free firewall. Haven't had any problems with it on MY computer. I am using WinsXP Home, SP2 etc, etc, etc. It's not a watered down firewall like some of the other free firewall choices end up being. You may want to at least go to their website and check out the product.  :) Of course this is just My opinion on the matter.  :)

SteveD

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 09:08:06 PM »
Thanks Neal63,

I just flicked over to their site & will have a better look in a moment; have you any comments on their anti-spam download & if so does it intigrate with Outlook 2000. If not I will look at their site later when I have a little more time.