Author Topic: Firewall recommendations?  (Read 15432 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Firewall recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
Hi Neal and SteveD,

Of course the Windows XP SP2 firewall is better than none, but malicious nodes that land on your computer unnoticed and unwanted are throughout possible, and you do not want anything unwanted phoning home, not even when it is tracking you.
MasterTech knows full well that we have to wait until the end of the year for a fullgrown firewall solution in the new Vista together with UAP.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

neal62

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:10:19 PM »
I don't know anything about their anti spam Steve. You may just want to read up on it at their site. Can't say anything good or bad about the spam product they have, sorry.  ;D

neal62

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »
Hi Polonus,

Yes, that's definitely true. I am a believer in being "Better safe, than Sorry". Doesn't cost much if anything to be that way and can keep your pc from having operating problems caused by Malware.  :)

SteveD

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 09:13:50 PM »
Thanks guys,

Comodo reads well, & given I had problems with ZA pro, I'm a little cautious to try their free version so so far it seems the best bet.

Mastertech

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »
Are you paranoid? Then yes use a third party firewall. If you want protection against the main problem inbound attacks then you can safely use the XP firewall. Just check your exceptions and for full protection do not allow any.

SP2 updates the XP firewall to provide rock solid inbound protection. No it does not provide outbound protection but for a program to access your system remotely it has to return inbound which it will block.

The free version of Zonealarm Free is perfectly fine. It is also the easiest to use of all third party firewalls.

One of the leading causes of Internet Connectivity problems is a misconfigured firewall. Outbound protection requires time consuming management that for the average user is simply not necessary. They also consume additional overhead.

FYI if you have a router their is a good chance you already have a very good hardware firewall.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the XP SP2 firewall for protection.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 09:39:05 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

But why would Microsoft change the built in firewall solution for Vista, if there was no need for it. It is a bit contradictory to what you say, because the avarage user will have a Microsoft firewall solution that works two ways there, and if I go Vista I will welcome that.

polonus

SteveD

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 09:41:21 PM »
"Just because you're paranoid..it doesn't mean their not out to get you"!

I simply can not afford the time to waste on having to deal with some intelligent fool with a chip on his / her shoulder who decides that for fun or gain they want to access my computer; I'd rather be preventative in the first place Mastertec.

Sorry if this approach frustrates you. :(

Mastertech

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 09:48:24 PM »
#1 there is no proof that it will be two-way only "vague references"

#2 If they do add it, it will most likely be very automated and extremely easy to use. Something current third party firewalls are not for the average user. Zonealarm comes close.

But that is not the point, they did not include it with XP because it is rarely necessary for the average user.

I simply can not afford the time to waste on having to deal with some intelligent fool with a chip on his / her shoulder who decides that for fun or gain they want to access my computer; I'd rather be preventative in the first place Mastertec.
Which you do with the XP SP2 Firewall!! No one can access your computer if you block INBOUND access!! This the problem, people promote third party firewalls as if outbound protection and inbound protection are the same thing. There is nothing wrong with the XP SP2 firewall it will block all malicious inbound attacks.

Yes third party firewalls block outbound access (after you are infected with something) but no "Hacker" will gain any more access to your system from the outside using the XP SP2 Firewall or any other one.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:54:56 PM by Mastertech »

CharleyO

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »

A true old saying goes ... "An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure."

In this case, a good 2-way firewall equals a more secure computer.

No, I did not say most secure; just more secure ... more secure than without the security that is available for free. Although, we want our computers & personal info to be the most secure they can be.

Outbound protection requires time consuming management ...

What time? Setting up most free firewalls (ZA Free, in particular) takes at most 5 mins and after that, I have never had to loose time with it unless I wanted to do so.

One does not have to be paranoid to want security on the internet.
After all, that's why we are here on this forum.    :)

Mastertech

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »
Time allowing program access or ports. If you set outbound protection to automatic, you might as well not have it at all. Also most people are easily fooled by outbound spyware programs with cleaver names. I have clients with ZoneAlarm, and it was useless for outbound access, they simply allowed everything.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
Hi Mastertech,

But why a hacker, the avarage user will never see those. When was the last time that your system was compromised by a hacker, then the only thing left to do if you were backdoored and what have you, is getting your system back up in a non-compromised state. No most avarage users are victims of unsollicited and sneaky drive-by installations taken aboard by the biggest hole, the person behind the keyboard, and if that has landed or is downloaded and wants to phone home
Windows XP SP2 firewall cant help you. If you lived in an ideal world this would not be so, alas we do not live in it,

polonus

kubecj

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 10:10:56 PM »
Giving Mastertech one week 'banana' for constant flamebaiting.  ;D

I think he's been warned before.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:12:54 PM by kubecj »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 10:42:50 PM »
 :)  Steve D :

I am in the group that likes a software firewall on a
      computer; you should also consider one that works well
      with Avast on a machine. I use the FREE, but currently
      "unsupported" former Sygate ( now abandoned by
      Symantec who bought them out ) Free available at :
      www.spychecker.com/program/sygatefw.html 
      There are LOTS of choices at :
      www.spychecker.com/software/firewall.html

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 11:04:43 PM »
Hi Mastertech,
If outbound protection isn't important, then why is MS adding it to the Win Firewall in Vista?
Outbound protection must have some validity otherwise, why bother? :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 11:09:01 PM »

Nice post, Spiritsongs ... with that firewall list, Steve should be able to decide for himself which firewall is best for him.    :)