Author Topic: Force removal of Endpoint, to install Cloud  (Read 2489 times)

REDACTED

Force removal of Endpoint, to install Cloud
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:39:19 AM »
I am in the process of upgrading about 200 computers from Avast Endpoint for Business to the Avast Cloud Console. I am having a really hard time with this, and the client software is extremely uncooperative. The client is generally refusing to uninstall when the command is sent to it from the administration console.

Also I can not find the original client install password, which the client refuses to be manually removed without. The password was changed in the console and pushed out to the clients, but it seems a whole bunch of clients didn't accept the change, so I am stuck, unable to remove it.

Then meanwhile I am trying to do most of this work remotely from a central location. I do NOT want to be running around to each computer individually, even though AvastClear says it needs to run in Safe Mode, which disables networking and forces you to stand there and babysit it.

Usually if I tell AvastClear to not use safe mode, the program refuses to do anything. I click Uninstall... and nothing happens, and I don't get an error message response. It just doesn't do anything. So then I try Safe Mode, and guess what. It does the same thing, won't do anything when I click Uninstall.  Grrrrrr.....

However, it looks like I have found a way to kill Endpoint so that AvastClear will work, even without the client password. This is a bit of a hassle but seems to be reliable.

1. Stop the two Avast services and Disable them.
2. In C:\Program Files\Avast   delete everything you can delete without an error
3. Rename the remaining DLLs in C:\Program Files\Avast from *.DLL to *.FOO
4. Reboot
5. Now AvastClear will work.

Is there a better way, other than writing a batch file to automate these steps?

Offline Jeffvcs

Re: Force removal of Endpoint, to install Cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:59 AM »
I'm also working on a similar task.

I want to mass uninstall to install the Cloud console version.  In my case I do know the password, but I can't get the client removed through the AEA console, it's just gone mental and no longer functions (Corrupt database?  Dunno)

I also think that manually uninstalling using AvastClear on 300+ machines is out of the question.

So, your findings help!  I'll post anything I discover.