Author Topic: where to submit skin?  (Read 6237 times)

KlinX

where to submit skin?
« on: January 24, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
Hello!

I`m new in avast! community.
I`m using avast only for a week, but I already think Avast! is the best.
So I decided to make skin for it.
And now when it`s ready I want to know to whom I need to send it, so it will be available on home page...

thanks!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: where to submit skin?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:19:19 PM »
Welcome to forums !

Skin will be available at download section only if it passes all tests, so you have to kepp that in mind.
You need to send your work to Vlk (ondrej Vlcek) from Alwil software.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:15:06 PM »
Welcome to the forums KlinX ;D

Can you post a screenshot from your skin ?  ::)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:27:04 PM »
I'm also intersted in screenshot :) It's ice to see other people that create new skins.
Sasha, me and Darren are the only 3rd party skind devs so far.
It's kinda weird since so many users use avast!, yet there isn't many that want to create skins (unlike milions of skins for lets say WinAMP).
Probably because of ActiveSkin program limitation :-\
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »
...or better say, because avast! is not multimedia kind-of-application, so it's not that attractive for skinning... besides, let's be realistic, not so many people knows about avast! You would be suprised how many people never ever even heard about it nor they have any clue it's an antivirus. Norton and similar antiviruses has unbelievable propaganda in here, and I am pretty sure similar situation is in USA too.

WinAMP, WMP, BS Player and some other multimedia tools are unbelievable supported with skins, but that's just because millions of people use those programs, and when they use them, they are most of the time present on their screens. That's not situation with avast!. Most people, just keep avast! in their system tray and relly on resident protection. I am pretty sure some never even opened avast! GUI. And also, we are witnesses how many people actually complained about avast! looking silly with all those skins... although I can't understand that... how one antivirus or any other utility can possibly look silly if it has MAC OSX styled skin, or KDE styled skin or any other of those skins that mimics some OS.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

KlinX

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
This is screen of my skin
I`ll send it to Vlk, hope he will approve it :-\

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
The skin looks functional, I've put it to my webserver, anyone who wants to try it out is free to do it (I suppose that's OK with you, KlinX...)

http://cat.asw.cz/~vlk/pocketscanner_by_otor.aswcs

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

KlinX

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 10:57:07 AM »
Yes, they can freely use it.
It`s was made specially for it:)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »
Skin looks good... good job ! ...X-cept I believe I found one bug (or it's not even a bug, just a strange behaviour)... pressing on RESIDENT SCANNER button... "exiting" behaviour of sliding panel is kind of weird. When you hover over that sliding panel, and you leave that area, it's supposed to disappear from the screen, but it disappears just when you leave much larger skin area. and how it looks, it doesn't have any specific shape (or am I missing something maybe).

Edit: Also... your signature says desigh instead of design. See here:

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 01:21:03 PM by N.Tesla »

Yannis

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
Hi all of you
I like the idea of supporting a loved programme such Avast.
How can I create a scin? What software do I have to use?
Does it require high IT skills?

Many thanks
Yannis
 :) :)

KlinX

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:55:10 PM »
Thanks for pointing bugs,
I corrected them and sent new file to Vlk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 02:52:19 PM »
OK, I've updated the donload link....

Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »
I don't know but that Scan button looks odd. Like it was copiedthere using MS Paint without any cosmetic corrections later...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 06:33:36 PM »
Yes good point RejZoR, something definitelly needs to be done with Start/Pause/Stop buttons...

Anyway, for the first time, I believe he did a good job... there is a lot of things to take into consideration when you are "diving" into design waters. SkinBuilder itself makes everything even more difficult with it's well known bugs and strange behaviours from time to time.

We all started somehow, and I remember my first skin Laah-Ra... I was so thrilled with it, but today when I look at it... literally makes me puke. Same story with Pirate Skin, and few others... but as soon as I take a look at one of those many Pro looking skins we created, it makes me so happy and it makes all that work really worth of time and effort we put into it.

This guy needs some more practice, definitelly... but I am sure he is on the right path.

Cheers!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 06:41:58 PM »
Yeah, i have nothing against his work (especially since i know how hard is to make nice and functional skin), just pointed out things that are really the most obvious.
Everything else seems to be fine (and quiet nice), except these buttons that really screamed at me the first moment when i loaded this skin.
Otherwise, keep up the good work :)