Author Topic: Viewing un-scanable files  (Read 6493 times)

REDACTED

Viewing un-scanable files
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:39:13 AM »
I have been using Avast Free for several months now and like it very much.  I created a new partition and installed OS X on it and got it all updated.  I copied the Avast Install file I used on my primary partition to install Avast on the second boot partition.  Everything does well except after a scan I can not view the non-scanned files like on the primary partition.  Why can I not do this on the second boot partition?  Please advise.   Thanks in advance...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Viewing un-scanable files
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
Check the log file on the primary partition and see if the result of a scan done on the second partition show up there.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:26 AM »
I am having the same issue, except I'm getting 0 infections and 342 files unable to scan.  The status table in the report is blank.  When I Ctrl-click on the table, nothing happens.  I need help being able to see the names and locations of the files Avast for Mac identified as unable to scan.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »
Use the right mouse button.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
I couldn't view the unscannable files and tried everything, including right-clicking, but still can't see them.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
By using the "right-mouse context menu" on the scan report, you can switch between infected files and scan errors.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
Hi jamble58 & robert682,

Unsure of what you are using (trackpad or mouse), but try following the instructions in the link below to use "Right Click".

http://www.wikihow.com/Right-Click-on-a-Mac

@jamble58

I am having the same issue, except I'm getting 0 infections and 342 files unable to scan.  The status table in the report is blank.  When I Ctrl-click on the table, nothing happens.  I need help being able to see the names and locations of the files Avast for Mac identified as unable to scan.

----------

@robert682

----------

I couldn't view the unscannable files and tried everything, including right-clicking, but still can't see them.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
I've just installed/ran Avast on my Mac for the first time. It found 43 infections (after 12½ hours of scanning, my Mac has been verrrry slooooow, which prompted me to wonder if perhaps there might be something undesirable creating this problem). I successfully moved these 43 infected files to the virus chest and then deleted them from there.

My question concerns the 1936 'unable to scan' files. (I found this list easily enough by right clicking inside the box that listed the infected files, and then selecting 'non-scanned'. I've learnt that almost all of these files are corrupted, a few a "decompression bomb", and a few error 2 (or 20) not a directory', a few password protected (of thus far, I've seen multiple versions of Adobe Flash Player Installer, none of which I need) . I don't need any of these files and would like to be able to delete them. But I can't figure out how to do so from the list in the Report. I can't see a button to select the files.

Is there a way to select these files and then be able to delete them?

Thanks,

Burt 

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »
I would be very carefull with deleting "unable to scan" files. In almost all cases they are harmless, regular files that should not be deleted only because Avast issued a warning when scanning them.