Author Topic: Avast did it again! Installing components WITHOUT ASKING!!  (Read 14420 times)

REDACTED

Avast did it again! Installing components WITHOUT ASKING!!
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
Today I updated Avast Free and after rebooting I had SafePrice added without wanting it. I had to uninstall it again via setup...

NOT GOOD!

Apart from that, in the options the software is trying to convince the user to install components by using the oposite word "uninstall"... when you click on it, the component will be installed!

Offline avaster78

Re: Avast did it again! Installing components WITHOUT ASKING!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »
I have safeprice installed (it's checked in the setup), but i don't see it anywhere else.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
The "deinstallieren" looks like a translation error to me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:32 PM »
Today I updated Avast Free and after rebooting I had SafePrice added without wanting it. I had to uninstall it again via setup...

NOT GOOD!

Apart from that, in the options the software is trying to convince the user to install components by using the oposite word "uninstall"... when you click on it, the component will be installed!

If you did a custom install at the start you would see all components that would be installed by default, you could uncheck unwanted options then.

Unfortunately the Component function in the avastUI shows all modules that are installed, with exception to the two avast browser plugins. These have to be used using the control panel > programs & features > avast antivirus > change.

This really is bad news they should be able to be removed from the avastUI > components screen.

I'm not entirely sure if any of the installed components can actually be uninstalled from the the avastUI > components screen, only switched off. For that you would have to go to the control panel > programs & features > avast antivirus > change. This really is another flaw in design if they can't be removed you have to take another action, kind of makes this option very weak.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
I had done a custom install before without no browser extension/Safeprice...

After the update, Safeprice and Avast Online Security were enabled without permission.

So there is an issue here...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:06:44 PM »
@ Alikhan
The OPs image clearly shows both in the custom/setup screen and they were both there in mine on a custom install. No idea why they weren't there on yours.

Though you said:
<snip>

Not sure if, before means on a different version of for this installation.

I believe the avastUI 'should' also offer uninstall of a module and not just disable. Not to mention it should have all component, including browser extensions, otherwise it is not as good as it could be,
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
@ Alikhan
The OPs image clearly shows both in the custom/setup screen and they were both there in mine on a custom install. No idea why they weren't there on yours.

Though you said:
<snip>

I believe the avastUI 'should' also offer uninstall of a module and not just disable. Not to mention it should have all component, including browser extensions, otherwise it is not as good as it could be,

Let me clarify,

Before I had done a custom install with the previous version without the Safe Price and browser extensions. Today I did an update from within Avast GUI and rebooted, behold the extensions came without any permission.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:40:09 AM »
@DavidR

Maybe one way to resolve going forward is the "Custom Install" screen comes up on all "over the top" updates....not just clean install ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:45:32 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:40:54 AM »
@ Alikhan

Though you said:
<snip>

Let me clarify,

Before I had done a custom install with the previous version without the Safe Price and browser extensions. Today I did an update from within Avast GUI and rebooted, behold the extensions came without any permission.

Very frustrating....just tried it and did same for me (previous Custom/Clean) install then today an over the top update......bang....guess what....new unwanted stuff.
I just don't get it with these guys.  >:(
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=189131.msg1327673#msg1327673
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:47:05 AM by thekochs »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
It happened to me too.

I just got the notice to update. I did, and rebooted. After the reboot SafePrice was installed.

My Avast is and was a custom install with only a few components selected (the three Shields, nothing else). During the update it is not asked if I would like to install new components such as SafePrice.

Stop foisting unwanted crap on us without asking. Do you want us to not trust you?? Because that is what you are accomplishing.

Now I get to mail everybody I ever installed Avast for on their machine, and try to explain to them how to remove this and other components that were never asked for. AGAIN! It's a pain in the ass and it is pissing me off.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:10:11 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
It happened to me too.

I just got the notice to update. I did, and rebooted. After the reboot SafePrice was installed.

My Avast is and was a custom install with only a few components selected (the three Shields, nothing else). During the update it is not asked if I would like to install new components such as SafePrice.

Stop foisting unwanted crap on us without asking. Do you want us to not trust you?? Because that is what you are accomplishing.

Now I get to mail everybody I ever installed Avast for on their machine, and try to explain to them how to remove this and other components that were never asked for. AGAIN! It's a pain in the ass and it is pissing me off.

The same just happened to me. Avast is becoming a conduit for PUPs.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
As I understand it, it shouldn't happen in the future anymore. Well, let's see...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
Let's hope so. The recent SafeZone debacle doesn't instill much confidence though. The same thing was basically said.  :-\