Author Topic: OpenVPN still broken by Avast 12.2.2276 firewall  (Read 2833 times)

REDACTED

OpenVPN still broken by Avast 12.2.2276 firewall
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
This is a problem that was introduced in an update a few months back and affects a lot of people that have purchased the Avast Internet Security so they can have access to an inclusive firewall.

In a nutshell the Avast firewall breaks 3rd party OpenVPN access (TAPv9 UDP/TCP) on Windows 10 (PPtP still works but that is not good enough). Recent posts from Avast support show that it was worked on and a fix should have been posted by the end of July 2016. Alas the Avast 12.2.2276 update is here and OpenVPN is still not working!! Note that by disabling the Avast firewall everything is fine (vanilla re-install).

I understand that the firewall works fine with Avast SecureLine VPN (I do not own it) which is great. What is not acceptable is that all other 3rd party OpenVPN clients are now in effect barred while we paid customers have to disable the firewall to be able to access securely (?!?!) the internet.

When will this be fixed for good??

----------
Tested on:
- MSI GE702PE ApachePro x64, Asus ZenBook UX305F x64, Dell Inspiron 1520 x32
- Windows 10 (WiFi single/double bands, no Ethernet)
- Latest TAP driver v9.21.2
- A number of VPN providers and their clients, such as Infinity, KeepSolid, Anonine etc
- Latest OpenVPN client v2.3.11

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: OpenVPN still broken by Avast 12.2.2276 firewall
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »
Initially the latest avast sub-sub-update (v12.2.3126.2) did not fix the problem. Un-installing completely the whole of Avast Internet Security and re-installing from scratch on every machine seems to have fixed the OpenVPN problems caused by the avast firewall (in addition to GUI/shields etc)

I can confirm that the latest fix now forces the firewall to detect correctly the OpenVPN adapter in the network profiles under the name of "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" and works as expected with traffic being routed through the correct IPv4 addresses 10.10.*.*.

Very upset and annoyed that your little shenanigans have cost us so many wasted hours for many days now, not to mention the uncertainty on and if we were still protected. The lack of any compensation or incentives so far for all the troubles caused will certainly weigh in our decision renewing any of our licenses again.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
Xentoth,

I have the same issues and concerns. 

Since their most recent update (or is it more accurate to call it an "incapaci-date?") Avast has been demonstrating some of the worst customer relation skills I have seen.  The fact that all the company's communication regarding this fiasco has been through nothing but a message board forum speaks volumes about their lack of professionalism.

If I ever decide to download their software again, it will be only to take advantage of the services for which I have already paid.  They will never receive one more cent from me.