Author Topic: YOU ARE UNPROTECTED. avast background service is not runing.  (Read 23610 times)

REDACTED

Re: YOU ARE UNPROTECTED. avast background service is not runing.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 04:35:45 AM »
I am having the same problem, did the new update, restarted computer, now Avast is completely broken, says all the background services aren't running, and when I click resolve it doesn't fix it. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit and it's the Avast Internet Security.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:37:27 AM by macmomma08 »

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 04:41:02 AM »
I have confirmed that the latest version was causing the issue for me. Here's what I did to downgrade and prevent it from automatically upgrading to the latest version again:

• I logged into My Avast to download my License (file: "license.avastlic").
  • I downloaded the offline installer for the previous version of Avast Internet Security from FileHippo (in my case 12.1.2272).
  • I downloaded and ran the Avast Uninstall Utility (file: "avastclear.exe"); this will reboot you into Safe Mode.
  • After the uninstall and rebooting normally, I ran the offline installer and disconnected from the Internet immediately after the initial trial license activation before it had a chance to download the latest version (because Auto-update is enabled by default on a clean install). To do this, I simply disabled my LAN adapter, but you may choose whatever method works for you.
  • After the install and initial activation completed and while my Internet was still disconnected, I went into the Update settings for the "Program" section and changed it from "Automatic Update" to "Ask when update is downloaded," but any of the other options will work.
  • Now in the Subscription settings I loaded my license that I downloaded earlier.
  • I restarted once again in order to be absolute sure that the setting had taken effect before reconnecting to the Internet.
  • Finally, I reconnected to the Internet.

Note: I also chose not to log into my account on the client for now as I was concerned that it might sync some old settings and re-enable Auto-update. I will probably leave it like that until this bug is fixed, hopefully in the next version.

Cheers!  ;)
Matthew

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 06:04:15 AM »
I found a similar way to Matthew81's:
1, Use uninstall utility to remove 2276version.
2. Download ver2276 offline installer (latest), DISCONNECTED FROM INTERNET FROM NOW.
3. Run the installer, turn off auto-update, and restart.
4. Turn off avast shields control.
5. It's OK to connected and get license back.

Maybe avast had just killed its own AvastEmUpdate.exe so there's no way to start background service.

UPDATE: After several hours I restarted computer and this happened again, FAILED.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:55:09 PM by Kyouko »

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 06:28:25 AM »
I too have had the same problem as you all have had. My biggest disappointment came when I contacted Avast about the problem and was told to fix the issue that I could purchase tech support for 100 + dollars to 300 dollars when it's their fault and I still have 8 months left on my paid subscription. I believe that that is shoddy buisness. I am running windows XP SP 3 . I will see if I can fix it with some of this advise. I may be firing Avast if this is how they operate.!!!

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 06:43:55 AM »
I am also having the same exact problems and have tried un-installing and re-installing the program three times.  Currently my laptop has no anti-virus protection.  Does Avast have a customer support team that monitors this forum?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
the same problem i updated today to the last version of avast premier antivirus (12.2.2276) and i encounter this error after every install.

date to update 31/12/1969 18:00:00

And have tried un-installing and re-installing the program

W10 64bit.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
I Tried to repir an uninstall and reinstall an i had te same problem.

W10 64 bits

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 08:42:11 AM »
The problem is the same, after the update stopped all screens, background service does not start. Attempts to include failed. Not helped remove and new installation of Avast free antivirus. Requested support, it remains to wait for decisions from the developer.

Offline falcongrey

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Just an interesting note to throw out there, while my desktop flopped with the new update my laptop is running it without any issues what-so-ever...  ???

Desktop has been reverted to previous version but leaving the laptop running with no issues.

(And yes, already submited a ticket for the desktop before the revert.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:50:38 AM by falcongrey »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
Must be a bug from the beta version which was undiscovered or missed out. I am having the same issue. It sucks  >:(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:08:05 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 09:29:39 AM »
FWIW, I upgraded my laptop yesterday from W7 to W10 Home.
And while I was at it, decided to update Avast to the latest (.2276) version as well.
Usually, I'm very cautious about upgrading AV packages, because of the risks and the tremendous waste of time when something goes wrong, but by the time I checked the forums there were no signs of trouble yet.
I was simply too quick.  :(

At the time of this writing, there is a sticky at the top of this thread saying that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...

Edit: extra post.

UPDATE:
The problem lies in the communication between the GUI and the Avast services.
This means that despite the error message you see in Avast, the services/shields/protection are active and running.
A fix should be released soon..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:33:27 AM by Thermal »

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
Similar to other Win 7 users I had the update yesterday and exactly the symptoms reporting Firewall off, 5 shields disabled.  Tried both repairing and reinstalling to no avail.
Unable to perform even smart scan or any type of virus scan.  It appears we do have an issue with the latest update. 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »