Author Topic: Another suspicious email flagged by Avast  (Read 5873 times)

Culpeper

Another suspicious email flagged by Avast
« on: December 05, 2003, 05:04:25 AM »
I received another email flagged by avast due to a suspicious subject line.  I selected "Delete" which leaves the following sanitized message in my inbox:

X-x: TimeOut+OK                                                            
Subject: avast! 4
X-SpamPal: PASS                                                          

Suspicious subject of message

Sender:  "Kenton Pugh" <kentonpugh_nc@email.cz>
Recipient:  culpeper@me.com
Subject:  

=========================

Each time the original subject line is deleted in the header and replaced with "Avast! 4"  My question is what does Avast do when I select "Delete" when it flags a suspicious email subject line?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Another suspicious email flagged by Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 11:26:29 AM »
If avast finds a suspicious message, it shows you the original Sender, Recipient and Subject. If you select to delete, the whole message is deleted and avast generates an info message with subject 'avast! 4', that is delivered to you instead of the original one.

Note that if you have checked 'Subject structure check' in heuristic settings, even the empty subject is flagged as suspicious.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 11:55:39 AM »
If avast finds a suspicious message, it shows you the original Sender, Recipient and Subject. If you select to delete, the whole message is deleted and avast generates an info message with subject 'avast! 4', that is delivered to you instead of the original one.

Note that if you have checked 'Subject structure check' in heuristic settings, even the empty subject is flagged as suspicious.

vojtech, I do recommend that this explanations about "what avast! do when a virus is found, when an email is deleted", and so on, were included into help files... I know that there are 'similar' explanations there but yours are quite good for troubleshooting.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 04:05:22 PM »
We have help files? :-[

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 04:07:35 PM »

Okay, that makes sense.  It makes an information report out of the email.  I believe one of the staff misunderstood what I meant in my last thread concerning this subject.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 04:08:10 PM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 10:28:05 PM »
vojtech, I do recommend that this explanations about "what avast! do when a virus is found, when an email is deleted", and so on, were included into help files...

I agree with Technical.  I personally have had to explain the same to other users before.  It definetly should be explained somewhere in the Help (also known as the Culpeper files) files.

techie  :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 10:30:24 PM by techie101 »

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 01:05:41 AM »
Yeah, "The Culpeper Files"  I like that! ;D