Author Topic: How to disable all cloud features?  (Read 7931 times)

REDACTED

How to disable all cloud features?
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
I wasn't aware that the recent updates apparently had anything to do with "the cloud."  Is there any way to disable any/all cloud features?  I get the pros and cons of it all, and in the end, I simply would rather my AV 100% on my computer and not communicating or sending/receiving data in any way other than updating definitions.

So... is there a way to completely disable that, or is that how the core program simply works now?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to disable all cloud features?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
Why installing security software and then limit the protection ?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »
I simply would rather my AV 100% on my computer and not communicating or sending/receiving data in any way other than updating definitions.
That is what the cloud feature is used for ... stream updates and more

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:49:14 PM by Pondus »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »
An AV should download a database of virus information to a local machine, and keep that database up to date. Then check all local files and incoming files against it.

The very second an AV starts uploading information pertaining to what files are present on a local machine, or even worse; uploads entire files or parts of files, to check against an online database, a line is crossed.

This isn't about limiting protection. This is about limiting privacy invasion. It is up to the user whether the second trumps the first, or vice versa. Stating that doing it all locally limits protection is misrepresenting the facts and misleading.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
With the amount of new malware arriving evry day cloud feature is vital
Some malware have a short life so autoanalyse time is vital

New malware Statistics > https://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/

What’s The Deal With Detection Logic?  >  https://labsblog.f-secure.com/2016/07/08/whats-the-deal-with-detection-logic/

What’s The Deal With Network Reputation?  >  https://labsblog.f-secure.com/2016/06/23/whats-the-deal-with-network-reputation/

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Still doesn't justify uploading files without explicit consent. Choosing to participate in cloud protection is one thing. Defaulting to it is another.

All this aside: The OP just seems to want local AV, nothing more. That is a choice. Just answer his question, instead of questioning his motives.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
You are wrong (again).

An AV should download a database of virus information to a local machine, and keep that database up to date. Then check all local files and incoming files against it.
avast is doing that (and more).

The very second an AV starts uploading information pertaining to what files are present on a local machine, or even worse; uploads entire files or parts of files, to check against an online database, a line is crossed.
No line is crossed.
The user has chosen a av that is using this technique and agreed that it is used.
It is needed to detect and block new malware as fast as possible.
Initially only the hash of a file is send to avast for analyzes, not a file.

This is about limiting privacy invasion.
Privacy has nothing to do with it as no personal data whatsoever is being send/requested.

The OP just seems to want local AV, nothing more.
If that is so, the OP should use a av that never connects to the net.
Good luck finding one :P

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
You are wrong (again).

You disagree with me. Not the same thing. But recognizing the difference is clearly not your strong suit.  ::)

avast is doing that (and more).

That 'more' is what the user should have ultimate say over.

No line is crossed.
The user has chosen a av that is using this technique and agreed that it is used.
It is needed to detect and block new malware as fast as possible.
Initially only the hash of a file is send to avast for analyzes, not a file.

If it is done without explicit consent, a line is most definitely crossed. Avast has a habit of installing new features without asking, so what a user has agreed to at first install years ago is not the same as what Avast is doing now.

Privacy has nothing to do with it as no personal data whatsoever is being send/requested.

How can we verify this? Also: if a file is sent, it can certainly contain personal data, so your statement is false. Only checking locally ensures privacy. Even a hash identifies a local file to Avast.

If that is so, the OP should use a av that never connects to the net.
Good luck finding one :P

You're either deliberately being thick, or just asinine. Very typical Eddy. No help, just arguing for the sake of it. Just deal with the fact that different people want different things from their AV, and that you are not now nor will ever be deciding for people what they should or should not accept.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:02:45 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
Also: if a file is sent,
If you read the info i gave above ... mostly it is just metadata

If hole files should be uploaded from 200mill users to avast servers i think avast servers would go hot

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
Also: if a file is sent,
If you read the info i gave above ... mostly it is just metadata

If hole files should be uploaded from 200mill users to avast servers i think avast servers would go hot

Yes. But even metadata leads to personal data. Because it identifies files Avast has hashes for in its database. This might be innocent, but it might also be personal. Since it tells Avast about the content of the local storage.

Say it sends a hash for a piece of downloaded software. Now Avast knows the user has that software on his machine. That in and of itself is already personal information. Even if this software is totally innocuous. It might be MS Word. Still, the fact that it is installed, is personal information.

Now say Avast sends a similar hash from a file with a known political, sexual, or religious connotation. See how things can get muddy real quick?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:15:10 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
If it is done without explicit consent, a line is most definitely crossed. Avast has a habit of installing new features without asking, so what a user has agreed to at first install years ago is not the same as what Avast is doing now.
It is done with explicit consent as the user agreed to the EULA when installing avast.

Now please stop hijacking threads.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »
Think about what these know about you

-Microsoft
-Google
-Yahoo
-Your ISP
-twitter
-Facebook
-online gambling
-online gaming
-smart phone
-and many many more

Most have some or all of this without blinking and then complaining about your security program bc of a cloud feature that is there to improve security .. doh  ::)

If you don't trust your security company then you should definitely not trust being connected online

The day you connected to internet your privacy was gone! the only way to avoid it, don't use any device connected, do not use credit cards, live in a motor home in the arizona desert

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:45:25 PM by Pondus »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »

The moment you start helping people by actually answering their questions  ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »

The moment you start helping people by actually answering their questions  ;)
This is a help forum. If want to do something other than help people, you're on the wrong forum.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 04:46:22 AM »
So first and foremost, actually help the topic starter by answering his question  ;)

If you feel the need to then also offer an opinion about why his choice might not be best, that's fine.