Author Topic: Remove ASU_MSI_TRAN from Windows 10 System Restore. What is ASU_MSI_TRAN ?  (Read 9117 times)

REDACTED

Hello. I recently had an unusual realtime symbol/item appear on my desktop screen, with or without running a web browser e.g., Firefox. It sort of looked like a typical thermometer gauge and had an active "counter" reporting with it, although it was in no way measuring changing computer temperatures. It just kept reporting numbers between 1-100, with the larger the number, the gauge went higher on the thermometer like gauge.  It was almost like it was measuring how many programs or sites had been successfully infected. (?? This is an interpretation, not a fact.). At the same time of the appearance of this item, I had a problem with reaccessing already open web browser sites. I could not get back to already open browser windows by simply clicking on the Windows 10 taskbar, although I could open fresh browser windows. So I thought it was some sort of virus or malware infection.  I did an Avast SmartScan, and also ran Malwarebytes and HitmanPro but this did not correct the problem.  So I decided to do a System Restore and discovered an installation I did not really make, called ASU_MSI_TRAN, as a system restore point.  ASU_MSI_TRAN installation apparently occurred at the same time that I started having the browser reaccessing problem, so I think the problems are related,  but have no real proof this is true. I checked both Downloads and Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features and there was no record of ASU_MSI_TRAN.  After a couple more rebootings, the "thermometer-counter" icon disappeared and so did the problem with reaccessing already open browser sites. However, ASU_MSI_TRAN still is a System Restore point. How can I remove ASU_MSI_TRAN from the system restore? I do not know where it is in the Registry. I have attached a *.txt for Malwarebytes scan, FRST, FRST addition, aswMBR.exe.  How can I remove ASU_MSI_TRAN from the system restore? Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Did something just update?

http://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/MSI-Installer-package-Microsoft-Windows

How can I remove ASU_MSI_TRAN from the system restore?
To delete restore points you turn off system restore reboot and turn on again, all restore points are then gone

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:00:41 AM by Pondus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
It is a restore point created by a update.
Very likely by a update for Windows 10.

There is nothing strange in the log files.
The system looks ok.