Author Topic: [FIXED] You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.  (Read 132558 times)

REDACTED

Re: You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
Such a MAJOR issue should have been immediately blocked by a simple test in lab before being pushed online...

AVAST is here getting a Red Flag well deserved.

Sorry but as a major player you HAVE TO deserve your customers confidence at full time !

Bye Bye

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
The problem was reported directly to Avast by at least one of us Evangelists at the first half of the night.

There is a protocol for such emergencies, but maybe the first Evangelist(s) who noticed there was a serious problem hesitated to use it.
Definitely we should evaluate this, so that every Evangelist understands better what to do in such cases.

Remember all (Uber)Evangelists are not Avast Employees, but Avast users like you :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
Another impacted here. This is very poor, particularly for a premium paid for licence. Distinctly unimpressed. If this is not resolved very soon I will be moving - I am already fed up with the large number of pop ups that have crept in recently. I have been using Avast for many years on many devices. I may soon be forced to change :(
t

REDACTED

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
Time is passing... and no more news....................

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »
UPDATE:

The problem lies in the communication between the GUI and the Avast services.

This means that despite the error message you see in Avast, the services/shields/protection are active and running.

A fix should be released soon.
Hi moroni,
By any chance, do you mean that the context menu is showing that all shields are activated? And so this doesn't correspond with the GUI?

On my end the context menu is showing that all shields are deactivated. Should I be worried?

No, you shouldn't be worried. The shields are active but the interface doesn't know.
The link to eicar Pondus posted is safe and you can use it to test the shields in case of any doubt  :)

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Thanks fro the info

Any way to go back to previous version or is it better wait for the fix?

Thank you
Kind regards.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »

As we want to prevent another issue we are spending more time testing the update. We'll let you know as soon as it's deployed. (ETA: very soon)

Thank you guys for your support!
Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
Hello!

We are aware of this issue and are currently working on a fix.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Our apologies for the inconvenience  :(

Moroni

When can we expect to get it resolved? Am unprotected rightnow.  :'(

REDACTED

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
UPDATE:

This means that despite the error message you see in Avast, the services/shields/protection are active and running.

Hi moroni,
By any chance, do you mean that the context menu is showing that all shields are activated? And so this doesn't correspond with the GUI?

On my end the context menu is showing that all shields are deactivated. Should I be worried?

No, you shouldn't be worried. The shields are active but the interface doesn't know.
The link to eicar Pondus posted is safe and you can use it to test the shields in case of any doubt  :)

It's funny because i tried the test and there no activity from avast.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
Thanks fro the info

Any way to go back to previous version or is it better wait for the fix?

Thank you
Kind regards.

The issue seems as a serious problem from "messaging" point of view because Avast's UI reports "unprotected" but the avast service / online shields etc. are still running in the background. You are protected - to emphases it even more, I'd say "gui is lying now".
Please wait for the fix - it's safer than any re-installs, rollback etc...

Offline Kalebon

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »
Having the same issue myself with  version 12.2.2276 (build 12.2.3126.2)

Checking to see if it is running, the system (service.msc) is saying that avast is trying to stop.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
UPDATE:

Hi moroni,

It's funny because i tried the test and there no activity from avast.

No activity from UI == you won't receive a popup warning etc. The "service" <-> GUI communication doesn't work. However both parts are running.

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »

As we want to prevent another issue we are spending more time testing the update. We'll let you know as soon as it's deployed. (ETA: very soon)

Thank you guys for your support!

TAKE YOUR TIME GUYS !!!! All ou PCs are not safe at this time.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RED FLAG for a so poor support to your customers.

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
I've got the same issue atm. I tried reinstalling Avast and that fixed it but only temporarily. Opening task manager and looking at background programs says the avast services and firewall are running. I used end task on them and then clicked on Start Now to fix the background services and it restarted it, same with the firewall but it still says i'm unprotected. So it looks as if they're working but it doesn't realise that they're working

Offline PjInOhio

• Soon, The Rapture! Next, The 7-Year Tribulation!
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
Never had such a problem after nearly 6 years.    Only now do I see that the newest version of Avast is still protecting according to recent postings. 

Well, I first uninstalled the latest version of Avast then did a Windows System Restore to get back to my earlier version of Avast. (Windows 7(64) SP1).   

I had downloaded the newest Avast, Java, and Adobe Flash this Friday evening.   Ug.   Never again.   New releases of any program should NEVER be done late in the week... especially on a Friday! 

So, after the Restore, Java x...91 went crazy and started loading over and over again, soaking up CPU and Memory big time.  I finally managed to uncheck Java at StartUp, update to x...101 and had Java remove the older one it detected. 

I updated Flash again.  I'll probably have to do a few Windows Updates again. 

Otherwise, all seems back to normal at this time.  (Sigh)

(Edit: Updated Sig Info.)  :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:36:05 PM by PjInOhio »
- Pj

Avast VPN, Avast Browser, Windows 7 Pro SP1, Pentium Dual Core CPU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Router: NetGear WNR2000v2, (Profile Updated Jul 4, 2022.)