Author Topic: [FIXED] You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.  (Read 132556 times)

REDACTED

Re: You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »
AVAST IS DEAD....

@Hervé12 : Althrough I understand your frustration these comments are not helping. And because this is a public forum not a support ticket there are some rules. I'd more than happy to listen to your complaints at https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=3 but please don't post them here...

We know that we could do it better. And we all wish that this damaged patch would never go out. But it happened. We are trying to do our best to fix it.

OK but it's a free forum right. You guys are making my PCs not protected... do I have to be pleased ????

As mentioned many times before in this topic: The avast services (which protect you from viruses) were running and protecting your PC. The only thing that fails is the UI which tells you that these services are not running.

So simply be a little bit patient until the new version gets released which will fix this issue.

Regards from another avast user with the same issue, but who understands how to contact a support correctly.

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »
"The only thing that fails is the UI"

Yeah, but its a HUGE thing to fail because its everything that gives us control.

REDACTED

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
AVAST IS DEAD....

@Hervé12 : Althrough I understand your frustration these comments are not helping. And because this is a public forum not a support ticket there are some rules. I'd more than happy to listen to your complaints at https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new?form=3 but please don't post them here...

We know that we could do it better. And we all wish that this damaged patch would never go out. But it happened. We are trying to do our best to fix it.

OK but it's a free forum right. You guys are making my PCs not protected... do I have to be pleased ????

As mentioned many times before in this topic: The avast services (which protect you from viruses) were running and protecting your PC. The only thing that fails is the UI which tells you that these services are not running.

So simply be a little bit patient until the new version gets released which will fix this issue.

Regards from another avast user with the same issue, but who understands how to contact a support correctly.

It's a matter of confidence... and mine is lost.

Offline Alpha-UMi

• Der Ãœberdenker
  • "Vitam impendere vero"
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
When a new stable update is available how will we go about updating it? I only ask because currently with the free version on one of my computers with the not protected stuff it says 1970 or whatever for the version date and when you click update in the pop up...nothing seems to happen at all.

Will something magically be happening when you click update after it is released or what?

Also I have another computer which recognises the update is there and says out of date and I switched it to manual so as to not install this bung update, what will happen with that one given it is currently pointing at the bung update? Will it just automatically adjust when the new one is pushed out because I can't search for a new one whilst the bung one is currently being pointed at to update to, hope that made sense :P

+10 to this post. What are we supposed to do when the fix will be released? Will it be automatically installed? Because now we have no control over the GUI to update manually...
"Vitam impendere vero"

REDACTED

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2016, 01:14:23 PM »
How do you know we're still protected? This has now been going on for hours and not solved. I'm concerned that one of the fixes I tried before I saw this forum might have left me vulnerable.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:15:55 PM by Charlie28 »

Offline Alpha-UMi

• Der Ãœberdenker
  • "Vitam impendere vero"
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
How do you know we're still protected? This has now been going on for hours and not solved. I'm concerned that one of the fixes I tried before I saw this forum might have left me vulnerable.

You can run an EICAR test. It is an harmless, test virus to check your antivirus:  http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html
"Vitam impendere vero"

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
Why don't you make the previous versions available for download for situations like this?  No matter what older version i try to get from filehippo it downloads/installs just the lastest one...
Of course it will if you don't disconnect from the net before installing then disable Program Updates.

No need to install older versions anyway as the current version is still protecting you.

i installed the offline installer without internet connection, the problem is on filehippo i guess, if i choose to download the previous 12.1.2272 it downloads the offline installer for the last 2276 version, if i try to download an older version like 11.2.2262 it doesn't even download an offline installer anymore, it downloads a 6mb file which i guess is the same one from avast homepage which is also the lastest version.

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/67652/ try to download and install this and see.

until you manage to fix the lastest version can you please provide us a valid download link with the previous one to install it with internet off and set the program update to manual?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:30:27 PM by frostward2401 »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »
@ Avast team

Take your time with the update and ensure you test it thoroughly before releasing.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »
@ Avast team

Take your time with the update and ensure you test it thoroughly before releasing.

..like what they should have done before...or you would expect them to do before any major update?  ::)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »
@ Avast team

..like what they should have done before...or you would expect them to do before any major update?  ::)

Sometimes issues are not found by the QA team and mistakes are made, give them a chance.

I'm sure lessons will be learned from this.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Some news????

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
@Avast Team

After beta stages has finished, don't public release it and make it final. Make sure you release couple or more of RC versions RC1,2,3,4 and then release the final version.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
Any updates on the fix?

REDACTED

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
@ Avast team

Totally agree but found proper work round.
Download offline program which is version 2272 but the build is 3126.0
Turn off the internet connection
Uninstall the current non working version build 3126.2
reboot as required but make sure internet is still turned off
install from full download
IMPORTANT BIT - go into avast interface and make updates "manual"
Turn ON internet
Definitions does up date but of course do not update version yet!
Apologies for spelling etc but wated 1/2 day on this!!
Thanks heaven for this foum now i know i was not alone  and thanks to those who found out about build nos as that part was not me
David

REDACTED

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »
OK, it would be good to inform largely, preferably by email. However, maybe you cannot determine which people have the problem and which people don't have the problem.

I know this service is free. The biggest reason I do not take the version you have to pay is that I saw that people have many problems with paid versions.

Let's be honest, it is the first time I have serious problems with Avast in years. It is a good service.

Didier
PS: you can answer in French, English or Dutch.