Author Topic: [FIXED] You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.  (Read 133299 times)

Offline no face

Re: [FIXED] You are unprotected! Avast Background service is not running.
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2016, 12:23:14 AM »
Ahh thank you. Makes sense for it to be disabled i suppose but it never was previously.

REDACTED

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2016, 01:45:17 AM »
Good to hear the fix is under way but more importantly why was no announcement made of the issue as so many paying users including me wasted hours of freaking out trying all different fixes for nothing when it would have taken one avast staff member 2 minutes to put a post out on here or an email to all users  not very well handled with this one guys !

REDACTED

« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2016, 03:07:01 AM »
Thank you.  Double-clicking the EMUpdater and rebooting did it.  I so enjoy this product.  Thank you for the support.

-scuzley

REDACTED

« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2016, 04:36:48 AM »
Upgrade from v12.1 and found this issue, then I double click on emergency update exe as suggested but without dialogue box or anything so I presume that it's done? Then I reboot and the issue still there.

So I uninstall it with avast remover/uninstaller in safemode (Win7) and then install a fresh v12.2, just when the installation seems to be finished... I've got BSOD "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS" so I uninstall it again in safemode, reboot to normal-mode and try to install and still got the same BSOD.

Back to v12.1 now and it works fine.

Do I have to wait for the next release version?
Stay using Avast or leave?
 :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:37:45 AM by Plaatu »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2016, 04:52:02 AM »
I found myself with this error message today. I thought I had escaped it but alas. Manually running an update didn't do anything. No response.

I ran EMupdate.exe but it didn't give any indication it did something. Not very reassuring. Rebooted. Avast says it is protected now. Let's hope it stays that way.

I just hope all other machines I have installed Avast on for family and friends will auto-update, because guiding them to the executable is going to be painful.

I have to ask: how poorly is the testing protocol at Avast? With all these problems..

REDACTED

« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2016, 07:45:18 AM »
Well I tried EMUpdate.exe also and all it does --- with or without running as admin --- is bring up the dialog box asking if I want to run it then nothing. Waited for 5 minutes and nothing appeared so maybe it is broken too.

I certainly hope this is fixed asap.

Also can the word [FIXED] get taken out of the subject, very misleading to come in and find 14 pages of still the problem

Your verification is very hard to read when you have poor eyesite and the listen doesn't even woght

REDACTED

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
Well I tried EMUpdate.exe also and all it does --- with or without running as admin --- is bring up the dialog box asking if I want to run it then nothing. Waited for 5 minutes and nothing appeared so maybe it is broken too.

I certainly hope this is fixed asap.

Also can the word [FIXED] get taken out of the subject, very misleading to come in and find 14 pages of still the problem

Your verification is very hard to read when you have poor eyesite and the listen doesn't even woght

well the problem has been fixed so I wouldn't suggest removing the tag from the post title.

my suggestion is to run the Avast uninstall utility https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and download the latest Offline installer https://www.avast.com/download-software for your avast version and install it fresh. This is how I did it and it worked no problem this way.

REDACTED

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
well I will try that yet again...I just did it this morning again thinking maybe but still with the issue. will let you all know tomorrow, um later today I guess

but if it was fixed since this morning it should work

Offline Alpha-UMi

• Der Ãœberdenker
  • "Vitam impendere vero"
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »

Maybe it's not clear enough that the Emergency Updater does NOT have a GUI or a visual interface. That's why it has been advised to wait 5 min before rebooting, just to be sure. You'll see nothing (unless you check task manager) but the updater is doing its job.
"Vitam impendere vero"

Offline suk

• Avast team
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:02 AM »
Emergency update is scheduled to run after reboot and twice a day, so everyone should have it installed already.
(you need to be connected to the internet)

If you see the 'Unprotected' message in the UI, it should be enough to reboot the computer. 

If the message is still there, run the  EMUpdate.exe and wait couple minutes (or check Task manager if the background process Avast! Emergency Update has finished) and reboot.   

More details:
The only thing that this update won't do is to reboot the machine. Since the root cause of this issue was in the communication between service and user interface, it couldn't pop up the Reboot dialog.  And rebooting the computer without user interaction could lead to data loss (and it would be quite unexpected)   

REDACTED

« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
AVAST is getting worse and worse with each and every "cool" new update!

Don't update the software so often, we don't want a new version every month, but a protection software that works and doesn't force us to update or install components we don't want.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
@straightedge, as reported in other forum threads, this is a GUI (interface only) glitch that was already addressed by developers.
Protection was never shutdown and users were always protected.
Run C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe (while connected to internet) and reboot.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
So, will an official email be sent that provides a link to the good version?  There are so many links in this thread and my trust in Avast is at Zero.
Official links: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=189131.0

I'm sorry, Asyn, but message boards do not qualify as the appropriate forum from which to conduct "official" company business.

REDACTED

« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »
@straightedge, as reported in other forum threads, this is a GUI (interface only) glitch that was already addressed by developers.
Protection was never shutdown and users were always protected.
Run C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe (while connected to internet) and reboot.

Then why wasn't this information conveyed- in a timely manner - to the hundreds of people who waited on hold for up to one and a half hours trying to resolve the issue? 

Does no one who works for Avast know how to send out clarifications through this thing called E-mail?  Or is that too much to expect from a software company?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
Does no one who works for Avast know how to send out clarifications through this thing called E-mail?  Or is that too much to expect from a software company?
Avast never worked with email notifications.
I think 230+ users is one reason.
Other, as a security company, I won't use email as a way to contact users due to phishing.
And, after all, no security was compromised. Just that some of us, comprehensively, get worried about it.
Anyway, we cannot do other thing that acknowledge and solve the issue.
The best things in life are free.