Author Topic: Network Connections  (Read 4665 times)

REDACTED

Network Connections
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
Hi,

Since updating avast yesterday, if I let my PC go to sleep I will get a notification from avast saying that I've connected to a new network - "Microsoft Wifi Direct".
Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Network Connections
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Are you using wifi to connect ?
Does your system has wifi ?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
I'm running a wired 100 Mbps connection to my router and avast will pop-up and announce it has automatically changed the firewall settings (I use AIS) to 'Private/Low Risk Zone' from a presumed default setting of 'Public/High Risk Zone'. 

Public/High Risk Zone would typically be used on a laptop when connecting to a public wif-fi, for example.  Public setting is not needed or required on a home or private network.

The new pop-up does display the router name and type of network connection every time a cold/restart of system is done whereas the older version (.2272) and earlier did not display a pop-up at all, and only did so when first network connection was found for the first time after a clean install.

Attached box does show an option to notify user about automatic network profile switching; I think this is the source of the new pop-up.  Untick that box and maybe pop-up will go away. 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
Hi,

Yeah I'm using wifi to connect.
It's not the pop ups or anything like that.
Avast Firewall detected a new network called "Microsoft WiFi Direct" that to my knowledge I am not using. It then displays both "Microsoft WiFi Direct" and my normal network in the firewall menu. This only seems to happen when I leave my PC asleep for a long period of time.
Disconnecting from my network also disconects me from both networks according to the firewall. Reconnecting then causes avast to only register my normal network.
Also Rednose I saw your other thread however I am not using Avast Secureline.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:20:53 AM by kionairis »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
I guess avast must be detecting some connection to that. I'm not sure why though it is isn't meant to be connecting to anything.
The only thing I can think of is that I am on a college enterprise network and sometimes they can have slightly odd set ups.
Do you guys reckon there's any risk with this? I've done scans and nothing has come up.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
It is part of Windows that is used to detect/handle networks.