Author Topic: Future of Avast Basic and Windows Server  (Read 12567 times)

REDACTED

Re: Future of Avast Basic and Windows Server
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
My ticket was sent to from technical support to sales and their response was:

Hello,

The Free version does not include MSI to push out the install, scheduled tasks or servers
however it is available within the paid tiers or with a Technical Support contract based on $2 per device per year ($200 minimum)

Offline Martin Svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
Hi all, first of all, sorry for late response.

Conditions which define who were affected by this change were set like I described in one of my previous posts. However, all of you who had active antivirus on server(s) at the same time like we released this change please let me know in case your servers have disappeared after that release. We will take a look on that and will make a proper change to rectify your situation.
We definitely didn’t enforce any automatic uninstallation of AV from yours servers.

For those of you who were not affected, it means you still have server protection for free - even if you would uninstall AV from your server you will be able to install it once again under the same account for free.
Product manager | Avast Business | 🗺 Roadmap

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:44:44 AM »
Hi guys, just FYI... :-\

Info from Ondrej (COO): The business product is equivalent in terms of protection (has the same engine and protection modules as the consumer version of Avast), and is indeed pretty quiet today. However, I can't really guarantee it will continue to be offered free of charge. The reason is that with AVG, we bought a pretty sizable SMB business which is in direct competition with Avast's -- and undercutting AVG's business by offering a free version of Avast may not be the brightest business idea, as I'm sure you understand... Not to mention that it really upsets our channel partners.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Manley

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
So...we might become victims of a huge bait and switch?

6 months ago - Avast for Business - free for education - forever and no limitations

today - limitations on free version and paid models, no server installs

future? - no more free version?

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
Can we get any news about Avast for Busines Basic future?
Can we install it in schools?
Any restrictions expected?
Will it be free?

Thanks,
KZS

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
Hi guys, just FYI... :-\

Info from Ondrej (COO): The business product is equivalent in terms of protection (has the same engine and protection modules as the consumer version of Avast), and is indeed pretty quiet today. However, I can't really guarantee it will continue to be offered free of charge. The reason is that with AVG, we bought a pretty sizable SMB business which is in direct competition with Avast's -- and undercutting AVG's business by offering a free version of Avast may not be the brightest business idea, as I'm sure you understand... Not to mention that it really upsets our channel partners.

+1 to the upsetting Channel Partners

I would say that the product likely does have a future (the console and clients work fantastic) but look for a different monetization plan, with perhaps some restrictions on the free product (say 10 workstations free limit or similar)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Zeniit

• Beta Tester
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
Will it be free?

Thanks,
KZS

Any info about it?
Windows 7 Pro 64bit -  Avast IS BETA channel - Firefox 47.0.1 x64 - Thunderbird 45.2 - avast! mobile security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Will it be free?

Thanks,
KZS
Any info about it?
See: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=196696.msg1372137#msg1372137
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0