Author Topic: Avast did it again! Installing components WITHOUT ASKING!!  (Read 14423 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast did it again! Installing components WITHOUT ASKING!!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
1. Let's hope so.
2. The recent SafeZone debacle doesn't instill much confidence though. The same thing was basically said.  :-\
1. +1
2. Probably the reason why the components menu got added.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
  • Avast team
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

without dancing around it, I have to admit the unpleasant fact. Even though we tried to make it easier for users to remove SafePrice extension from browsers, we managed to introduce pretty nasty bug in the update process.  :-[

Previous versions contained only one component - Browser protection. This component contained both Avast browser plugins.
The current version offers two components, Security browser extension and SafePrice browser extension. While the first one respects the state of the Browser protection in the previous version, SafePrice browser extension does not respect the state of the Browser protection component from the previous version.

It really was not intentional and I am really sorry about the extra step you now have to do after the update to fix your component configuration.

Petr

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

without dancing around it, I have to admit the unpleasant fact. Even though we tried to make it easier for users to remove SafePrice extension from browsers, we managed to introduce pretty nasty bug in the update process.  :-[

Previous versions contained only one component - Browser protection. This component contained both Avast browser plugins.
The current version offers two components, Security browser extension and SafePrice browser extension. While the first one respects the state of the Browser protection in the previous version, SafePrice browser extension does not respect the state of the Browser protection component from the previous version.

It really was not intentional and I am really sorry about the extra step you now have to do after the update to fix your component configuration.

Petr

Thanks for your explanation, Petr.

That makes complete sense and is totally understandable. This issue should not now arise in the future.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
@DavidR

Maybe one way to resolve going forward is the "Custom Install" screen comes up on all "over the top" updates....not just clean install ?

I did an over the top install and the Custom install option is there. If you are thinking of an update from the UI, that isn't an install over the top, but an update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
Does Avast remember what components were installed for several previous versions or not? Because if it did, Avast could uninstall SafePrice with the next update on systems that didn't have it selected. I fear it is now wrongly installed because of the bug, and since it is now present any update will keep it installed. So manual user intervention is needed for all machines afflicted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »
Does Avast remember what components were installed for several previous versions or not? Because if it did, Avast could uninstall SafePrice with the next update on systems that didn't have it selected. I fear it is now wrongly installed because of the bug, and since it is now present any update will keep it installed. So manual user intervention is needed for all machines afflicted.

I wouldn't think it would remember what components you had installed several versions ago, I can't see the purpose in that given that the program changes and as has happened components are added. So I would guess that it only has what you currently installed to work from.

If you did a program update, as opposed to a clean install or an install over the top of your existing installation, then it should only install/update those components that are already installed.

There are obviously going to be exceptions to this (or a bug) if a new feature is introduced and you are likely to get that new function along with what you have already installed. In this build 12.2.2276 the Safe Price and AOS have been split apart, so as I mentioned these could well be considered new.

I would say your best option is to do a clean install (a custom install at that) so you have a known program/component state from this version on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
My problem is that I now have several machines out there that have software installed because of this bug that I somehow have to fix. I'm gonna get calls. I know it. Remembering component states shouldn't be necessary if proper testing was done before an update roll out. But .. here we are.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:36:35 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
I did an over the top custom install and unchecked certain components.
They did not install. :)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93544.msg1327696#msg1327696
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:35:57 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
My problem is that I now have several machines out there...
How many..? Private or business..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »
I always run the full off line installer and select what I want and do not want. That way, things that are not
needed by me are not installed without my selecting them.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 12:52:33 AM »
My problem is that I now have several machines out there...
How many..? Private or business..?

A bunch. Family and friends. I'm the designated 'computer guy'. You know how it is. So now it's either try and coach them trough modifying the installation via phone or mail, or remote into their machines, or even drive over and fix it. All because updating from within Avast doesn't ask whether new components should be installed. Weirdly inconsistent behaviour considering it is asked with a clean install or over the top install.

Some uniformity in behaviour would be nice. And better testing.

Offline Skakara

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
Some uniformity in behaviour would be nice. And better testing.

I agree. Doing an update from the program should always ask if any new component should be installed or not. And I really don't understand how this didn't show up in testing, were there any testing?

The way I read petr.chytil message, avast is sorry for that this plugin/component splitting had an unfortunate side-effect. But in the future, when avast creates a new component, it will be again installed automatically if avast is updated from the program. That isn't going to change. That's how I read this situation. So expect more unpleasant surprises in the future.