Author Topic: Is it really anonymous?  (Read 6972 times)

REDACTED

Is it really anonymous?
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
I'm sure this really is a noob question, but I would rather make sure.

The state I live in unofficially restricts freedom of speech on various matters (religion, politic etc). I believe people should be allowed to speak freely and voice their opinions on politics, laws, army and even religion (if religions is to be involved in politics).

I want to voice my opinion on forums and facebook, but politicians, privileged and clerics have deep influence in govt and agencies and are known to trace down such individuals and once found, they're in deep shit.

I already have avast secure line and want to make sure it is safe enough so our ISP can't trace and give me up to religious and political goons. I know it still would be risky if my computer gets checked, but this much risk I'm willing to take. Just wanna be sure that while using Avast secureline, my identity on internet is safe enough.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Is it really anonymous?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
A ISP always knows who you are.
If they wouldn't, anyone could be using any ISP without paying for the services.

A VPN is not about hiding, it is about protecting (encrypting) data traffic on a public network.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »
So my ISP will know I been using their services (makes perfect sense), but wouldn't know what I've been posting on forums because I was browsing through vpn tunnel.
If someone tries to backtrack me by the post I made, ISP wouldn't be able to rat me out?

This post for example, is made using avast secureline. Could it be linked to me?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:36:45 PM by avast_user01 »

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
Hi avast_user,

It is safe to say that no, the post could not be linked to you.  The only thing we keep are net flow logs, so we can try to identify ways to improve the service.  We don't keep any personally identifiable info (PII). 

Hope this helps,

Davidek