Author Topic: Windows 10 Forced Driver Signing  (Read 3165 times)

REDACTED

Windows 10 Forced Driver Signing
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
With the Anniversary Build, Microsoft will begin forcing kernel mode drivers to be digitally signed by Microsoft.  This will only be the case for new installations of Windows 10.  I just want to confirm if Avast is loading kernel mode drivers for its software?  If so, are those drivers digitally signed by MS?  I don't want there to be a problem with new installs starting next week.

REDACTED

Re: Windows 10 Forced Driver Signing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
Thanks for this post, @Jim85

I was not aware Microsoft was doing this; will have to check it out further for myself. 

From what I understand, if you upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10 in-place, you won't be forced to use Microsoft driver signing, so that might be your only workaround for a fresh Win install (if it happens to be problem). 

I'm not an Avast expert, but I would say with confidence that it would have a Kernel Mode driver (filter) and it would be signed, but probably not by Microsoft.

I'll look around and see it this affects only fresh installs of Win10 1607 build.  It could be previous builds that are upgraded are not affected either, and so could be another workaround.  Haven't found any completely clear info online yet  :o 

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
See https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/.  It says:

To summarize, on non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 with Secure Boot ON, drivers must be signed by Microsoft or with cross-signed certificates issued prior to July 29th, 2015.

It seems less dramatic than the news makes it out to be. 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 12:03:53 AM »
I confirmed that Avast installs fine on a fresh install of Windows 10 build 1607 with Secure Boot on.