Author Topic: cancelling "Free Trials" - Billing  (Read 5937 times)

REDACTED

cancelling "Free Trials" - Billing
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:16:24 PM »
Has anyone else had problems getting Refunds after a "Trial Period" of an AVAST product?  I've been an AVAST customer for years and have been happy with the services.  AVST came highly recommended by my friend who is a computer technician.  Last year I tried one of their products on a month rial period.  But when it came time to cancel it was a nightmare.

I contacted AVAST multiple times (for Billing questions I couldn't find anyone to speak to and was told I could only do Billing questions via e-mail).  I wanted my money back which should have been a simple return.  Instead it dragged on for 5 months and then the AVAST contact said it was too late !  He then said I could use the refund to buy another AVAST product instead, but I said I wanted my money back.  I still couldn't get the issue resolved so I finally e-mailed back and said I'd take the AVAST product (so at least I'd get something).  Then the AVAST contact said it wasn’t possible to give me that offer anymore but didn’t say why.

I haven’t been able to reach anyone else by e-mail except the same person who wouldn't give me a refund in the first place.  Apparently for many of their products AVAST uses a 3rd party vendor.
Does anyone have an AVAST phone number other than for Technical support or an e-mail address for a supervisor?
Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: cancelling "Free Trials" - Billing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:35:05 PM »
Has anyone else had problems getting Refunds after a "Trial Period" of an AVAST product?
Refund after trail Periode? ... Trail is free

Have you submited a support ticket?  if so post ticket number here

If not, then submit a support ticket > https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:37:36 AM »
Has anyone else had problems getting Refunds after a "Trial Period" of an AVAST product?

Refund after trail Periode? ... Trail is free
<snip>

Not entirely correct, users can get a 60 day trial version (avast IS/Pro/Premium), but to get that they have to complete an order including billing details. At the end of the trial period payment would be processed.

I don't know if uninstalling the 60day trial version removes the payment order (I suspect not) so the user may have to delete that payment order/instruction.

That said it doesn't appear to be what thosyboy3 has done but trialled another product.

@  thosyboy3
What product was it that you tried ?
And did you complete a payment instruction ?

EDIT: corrected URL.
Also see https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB24#artTitle.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:37:48 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
Last year I tried one of their products on a month rial period.  But when it came time to cancel it was a nightmare.
I don't see why.
Just remove the product and make sure auto-renewal is not enabled.
That really isn't hard to do.
I still couldn't get the issue resolved so I finally e-mailed back and said I'd take the AVAST product (so at least I'd get something).  Then the AVAST contact said it wasn’t possible to give me that offer anymore but didn’t say why.
Looks like the keyword here is FINALLY.
Seems that you did not responded in a timely matter.
Go to a car dealer and say "Hé, I would like to take that offer you had 6 months ago". ;)

David,
the OP did say "a month rial period"

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
Hello thosyboy3!

I am sorry to hear about the problems you had. It is not my intention to justify what happened but I would like to use your thread to clarify few concepts I often see mistaken.

- Trial period: Completely free, no need to pay nor to enter a payment method details. 30 days for antivirus products, 3 days for Secureline, NO trial period for Cleanup (formerly GrimeFighter) or Passwords. Once expires the application will no longer work.
- 30 days refund warranty: Within 30 days of purchasing any product, you can request a refund if you are not satisfied with it. Trial period is not the same as refund period.
- Uninstalling an application will not cancel the renewal process if it is active.

The order you requested a refund for was an Avast GrimeFighter subscription, for which there is/was no free trial period but instead the refund warranty applies.

Now back to your case, whilst you indeed requested a refund within 30 days (which was argued against by our staff, I acknowledge that, as due to time differences we received your request on 11 June 2015 even though you sent it on 10 June 2015), the agent that handled your case replied the same day, offering you to extend your Avast Pro subscription instead of refunding the Avast GrimeFighter one.
Unfortunately, we didn't receive a reply from you until 15 September 2015, indicating that you prefer a refund rather than an extension, and at that point our agent indicates that after 3 months it was not possible, but the offer for an extension was still valid. We then heard from you again in May this year, where you were told that neither the refund nor the extension was possible at that point.

I apologise about what happened as I can understand why you feel frustrated by this experience with our support. Unfortunately, at this point it is not technically possible to issue a refund, as due to our distributor capabilities we cannot refund an order older than 6 months (and that's not a policy :( )
I'll see if I can do it through other means, but in the meantime, I'd be more than happy to compensate you with a license for any product of your choice.
I hope to hear from you soon! (and not in 5 months :D )

Moroni
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:01:05 PM by moroni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the clarification moroni, which will help us with future related questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security