Author Topic: [fixed] Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 101796 times)

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
  • Avast team
Re: Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the reports. It really helped us to find the root cause.
If everything goes well, we are going to release an emergency update today. The update will be applied even during the clean installation. Beside that, we are going to include the fix in the offline installer of a Beta version which is also going to be released today.

Right now, the fix is being tested.

Once it is ready, I will let you all know!

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
*clap-hands*

I really appreciate this. Thanks for the power!!

I do not understand why some people are really angry and shouting on Avast - this is my first issue for years now as a paying customer and I still would recommend Avast to every friend ...

REDACTED

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
Great news, thank you!

REDACTED

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
*clap-hands*

I really appreciate this. Thanks for the power!!

I do not understand why some people are really angry and shouting on Avast - this is my first issue for years now as a paying customer and I still would recommend Avast to every friend ...

As a non paying customer i second this. Mistakes are made everywhere, it is the reaction to made mistakes that make the difference... I wonder how these people react irl when a coworker or a friend makes a mistake.

anyway, thanks for the support Avast :)

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the reports. It really helped us to find the root cause.
If everything goes well, we are going to release an emergency update today. The update will be applied even during the clean installation. Beside that, we are going to include the fix in the offline installer of a Beta version which is also going to be released today.

Right now, the fix is being tested.

Once it is ready, I will let you all know!

I will check this thread closely so I can install the AIS once again on my Surface once the update/fix becomes available.

Thanks for the update.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
  • Avast team
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
One more note,
this issue occurs only on Intel Skylake CPUs when VT-x instructions are enabled in the BIOS. As a workaround, you can temporarily disable the VT-x in BIOS.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
One more note,
this issue occurs only on Intel Skylake CPUs when VT-x instructions are enabled in the BIOS. As a workaround, you can temporarily disable the VT-x in BIOS.

No idea if this applies on a standard Surface Pro 4. If so I will have to look up where this is hidden in it's UEFI.
Also does this mean VMWare/VirtualBox or Hyper-V users still have an issue when running Avast on their workstations?
I would assume so.

Can it also be solved by avoiding the use a loose component/not installing a component or is it part of the basic drivers needed to even run the Avast anti-virus software?
(Again I assume this being the case as some folks have issue's with the free version as well..)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:11:20 AM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
Thanks to Avast for an incredibly quick response on this. Pretty impressive.

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
Just for giving you more info.
I just update my second desktop with i5-760 + windows 10 + avast free.
Anniversary update installed at the first try.

REDACTED

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
ok on august the 2nd I tried install win10 anniversary update and it failed twice due to avast and BSOD.  ok so I uninstalled avast through add/remove programs.   then I got the win10 update installed.  so after its all working good stupid me installed avast fresh install and yeah you guessed it bsod.  so I had to go onto another computer and find that this forum shows all kinds of issues with this new update and avast.  Great.   so I found your avast cleaner and booted into safe mode and ran it.   got my computer working good.   Yes I have a skylake cpu i7  and now I see you MIGHT have it fixed.  but to be honest I don't know if I trust your software anymore over 15 years of using it and installing it on clients computers I work on.  its like you guys gave up and don't care anymore at all, this is a horrible issue that should of never happened PERIOD. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:03:38 PM by Handsofdeath »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
Sure, and you are perfect and never do something wrong/make a mistake.
Besides, you should blame Microsoft for not testing all possible combinations of hardware/software before releasing the update.

REDACTED

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Petr -

Thanks for the quick turnaround on a fix.  Please let those of us who restored to Windows 10 Build 1511 what we should do.  That is, will we need to uninstall Avast, perform the Anniversary Update, then do a clean install?  Or will we be able to apply the update, disable shields and not uninstall Avast, then perform the Anniversary Update?  I'd like to avoid any more BSODs or boot loops.

Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
Apply the avast update before updating Windows and everything should be fine.

REDACTED

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
One more note,
Have 2 new pc.  "Intel Skylake CPUs when VT-x instructions are enabled in the BIOS" is disable in bios.
Fresh instalation Windows 10 Anniversary Update. same BSOD after install Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
One more note,

Not sure of this. In my Asus Z170-A with i7-6700, VT-d is DISABLED by default.