Author Topic: [fixed] Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 101790 times)

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
  • Avast team
Re: Avast causes Blue Screen after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
simone.mesca.75,
is on your system an option to disable VT-x as well? In our tests, disabling VT-d was not enough to workaround the issue.

Offline adamchamney

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
simone.mesca.75,
is on your system an option to disable VT-x as well? In our tests, disabling VT-d was not enough to workaround the issue.

I can confirm that  VT-d IS DISABLED in my BIOS.
I have the same issue as everyone. With AVAST installed after upgrade I get blue screen. I can uninstall AVAST and install the windows update, everything works fine until I install AVAST then it will blue screen again, until I either uninstall AVAST or roll back the windows update.

I have a 6600k, Gigabyte, Z170xp-SLI motherboard.

REDACTED

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »
simone.mesca.75,

Thanks a lot for your help

Effectively I have a intel 6700k and the same issue with blue screen everytime avast is installed.

My motherboard is a Gygabyte gaming 3 z 170x, and vt-x is not present in BIOS only VT-d. I suscribed in this post, for futeres updates.

PD: excuse me for my very bad English

REDACTED

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
Hi petr,

just some info for you. I can confirm that on my machine, disabling VT-x in the bios seems to have done the trick. In more detail:

For a baseline, I checked my BIOS settings, and in my particular bios, VT-d was disabled already (the default) but a setting called "Intel Virtualization Tech" was enabled. Anyway, with these original settings left unchanged, I attempted to install Avast Free (12.2.2276), and got the Blue Screen crash part the way through the install. So I rebooted into safe mode, ran the Avast clear utility to uninstall. Then I booted back into BIOS and disabled the "Intel Virtualization Tech" or VT-x.

Then, in full windows (normal mode, not safe mode) I re-ran the Avast Free installer. All went well. Did a smart scan, everything was fine. Then I ran a full system scan, everything went fine. Rebooted, no issues at all.

So it does appear that disabling VT-x does in fact stop the BSOD crashes. At least, so far for me, everything has been running just fine. Avast is working just fine.

Anyway, my specs, if it helps:

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Motherboard: MSI Gaming M7 z170a
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700
SSD (OS drive): Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
HDD (Data drive): Seagate Barracuda 5400 1TB
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
RAM: 16GB 2133 MHz Corsair
Soundcard: Steinberg UR12

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Justin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:59:34 PM by jsljustin »

REDACTED

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
simone.mesca.75,

It seems not. I have check all the bios section and ther is only vt-d (disabled bydefault).
How is your situation actually ?

REDACTED

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
VT-x might have another name in your Bios. Mine wasn't called VT-x, but "Intel Virtualization Tech" or "Intel Virtualization Technology". Another term used for it is "Vanderpool technology". But maybe your motherboard does not give BIOS access to VT-x. In which case it is probably on by default (if avast crashes for you) and cannot be turned off.

If people want to post their exact motherboard name here, I can help see if there is a setting for you to enable / disable VT-x, even if it is another name.

That way you might be able to try and see if after disabling it, Avast will install and run.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:56:18 PM by jsljustin »

REDACTED

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
I have seen several people already blaming Avast for this issue.  While it is a MAJOR issue, with it not happening with the Insider Ring, or Beta version of AU, they had really no way of knowing.  I'm sure you guys, like the rest of us on this forum, immediately jumped at updating to AU, which is bound to have some issues.

Thank you very much for your fast response Avast!  Please keep us updated and what version number to look for to confirm Avast is up to date with this fix BEFORE anyone else tries to upgrade to AU.

REDACTED

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
simone.mesca.75,

Dear Petr,

I CONFIRM that:

1. In my Asus Z170-A, and i think in other Z170 motherboards series (not only Asus), Intel VT-x is called "Intel Virtualization Technology"
2. I have found it in my Asus Z170-A and i've disabled it. I reboot system. For safety I've disabled Windows Defender thru reg values modify in group policies (it is my personal procedure), then I reboot and I’ve installed avast free using online stub installer, then reboot once a time.

And...

... ALL IS OK !!!

So, i can say that, with 99,9% probability, the problem is a conflict between Avast and Intel Virtualization technology.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
simone.mesca.75,

Dear Petr,

I CONFIRM that:

1. In my Asus Z170-A, and i think in other Z170 motherboards series (not only Asus), Intel VT-x is called "Intel Virtualization Technology"
2. I have found it in my Asus Z170-A and i've disabled it. I reboot system. For safety I've disabled Windows Defender thru reg values modify in group policies (it is my personal procedure), then I reboot and I’ve installed avast free using online stub installer, then reboot once a time.

And...

... ALL IS OK !!!

So, i can say that, with 99,9% probability, the problem is a conflict between Avast and Intel Virtualization technology.

Great. So if this is indeed the case those running VM's are now somewhat left in the cold. Option being to revert back to v1511 until a real fix is put into play or choose another anti-virus solution. I do wonder if Avast NG is the component acting up in this with the next gen Intel CPU's and windows 10 v1607
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 05:36:40 PM »
NG isn't used any more. It was replaced with Cyber Capture.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »
Please let us know as soon as possible when the updated offline installer is available because I now need to do a fresh clean install with Anniversary Update.

REDACTED

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
VT-x might have another name in your Bios. Mine wasn't called VT-x, but "Intel Virtualization Tech" or "Intel Virtualization Technology". Another term used for it is "Vanderpool technology". But maybe your motherboard does not give BIOS access to VT-x. In which case it is probably on by default (if avast crashes for you) and cannot be turned off.

If people want to post their exact motherboard name here, I can help see if there is a setting for you to enable / disable VT-x, even if it is another name.

That way you might be able to try and see if after disabling it, Avast will install and run.

Hi, can you help me? my motherboard does not show VT-x only VT-d the model is gigabyte ga-z170x gaming 3

REDACTED

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »

Hi, can you help me? my motherboard does not show VT-x only VT-d the model is gigabyte ga-z170x gaming 3

Look for a virtualization option (such as "Intel Virtualization Technology" or maybe just virtualization) and disable that.

REDACTED

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
Hello, sorry for my english .... google translate ^^

I confirm as many of the worries is resolved when you disable Intel VT in the BIOS. I had the blue screen loop when I made the installation of the anniversary >>> forced update avast uninstall in safe mode after finding the info on the net. So, end of the blue screen , update ok . By cons when I tried to reinstall avast again the blue screen ...
So I disable Intel VT and I managed to reinstall AVAST .

Merci à tous, Thanks all for helping me  ;)

my config
I5 6600 K
Zotac AMP 1070 Extrem
Asus Maximus Ranger VIII
Samsung 850 Pro SSD

REDACTED

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
If the update comes today, will the offline installer also be updated today?