Author Topic: Malware found! What should i do?!  (Read 4665 times)

cvillanu

Malware found! What should i do?!
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:50:43 PM »
i recently tried loading a shareware keylogger program. in the process, i got a virus/malware alert. here is the info that showed on the alert screen:

file name: C:\Windows\is-3EV67.tmp
Win32: Trojan-gen (Delphi)
virus/worm
vps version: 0604-4, 01/27/2006

below, appeared a section of the screen with four "available actions" to choose from (i've put questions in parenthesis):

1-move/rename (why? please explain)
2-delete (please explain to me further)
3-repair (please explain to me further)
4-move to chest (please explain further)
("move to chest" is recommended, but this cancels installing the software)

then, below those choices it had a section entitled "processing", which had the option to take "no action"...stating that the malware will NOT be activated.

i am VERY confused by all this. i would like to use this keylogger...so what do i do? would this appear on all keylogger type software? oh, i also tried loading a shareware "parental lock guard" program and the same malware alert showed up.

would someone please help me?!

thank you very much
cvillanu01247@hotmail.com

wendy k. walker

Re: Malware found! What should i do?!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »
Hi Boo, answers to 1.) Move/rename scoots the malware out if it's target location, thus making it harder for it to activate its self.
2. Delete, by its very name is self explanatory, it deletes whatever Avast! found.
3.) Repair fixes or attempts to fix the infected file by removing the malware from it.
4.) Scoots the whole file over into the virus chest, and corks it up so that it cannot be used.

As for the "Take no action" thing, I'm not sure but I think that is just telling Avast! to leave it alone, that you know it's there, and that you're happy with it. Will not be activated, I think means at this time.

♥ Wendy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:34:58 PM »
Key loggers can be used for good and for evil, so it is hard for avast to detect which it is hence the warning. The take no action, doesn't delete or move the file but does stop it executing.

You can exclude the executable file that is being detected in Program Settings, Exclusions and Standard Shield, Customize..., Advanced.

However, key logging as a means of parental control isn't really effective as you find out afterwards what they have been doing, rather than actually prohibiting content, etc.

There are parental control program, I think they have even been discussed here when this keylogger issue rears its head. So a forum search may reveal more ways to exercise parental control.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:45:57 PM »

As David said, keyloggers cannot be distinguished if being used for good or bad. This is reactive instead of preactive which is better.

You can try Naomi which is advertised as being free ......

http://www.radiance.m6.net/

There is a version that installs without a tray icon if that would be your preference. Please read the instructions carefully for this version.

cvillanu

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »
hello wendy-

the reason i am trying the keylogger is because my wife refuses to learn anything about how to cut and paste (or other computer stuff). all she wants to do is email...but when she spends 30 minutes writing a letter online and then goes to send it, only to find she has been bumped offline, she goes crazy! so, to cut my losses (she gets as mad at me as at the computer), i thought i'd try a keylogger so i can cut and paste the transcript of what she wrote into a new email for her to resend.

here is a link to the keylogger. they have some other interesting downloads:

http://www.softwaretrials.com/keylogger/index.html

in terms of  the "delete" option, i wasn't sure if it deleted the single virus file or the entire program.

before going to the avast forum i went to the website where i downloaded the software and reported the malware. they wrote back saying no programs they post have malware...that maybe my virus program was not allowing certain programs  (keylogger, etc.) to be loaded without a malware alert.

thanks for your kind reply!

carl villanueva
http://www.members.tripod.com/carlvillanueva
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:13:52 PM by cvillanu »

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »

She could also use copy & paste. Just before she "tries" to send the email all she has to do is highlight the text, right click, choose copy. Then, when the email does not send, she can start a new email, right click the blank area, choose paste, and she now has a new email ready to send.    :)

Better yet, she can write the email in Notepad. Then, she can copy & paste that text into an email.    ;)

To Carl's wife: Give the above 2 suggestions a try. Neither is at all hard to do ... like eating a piece of cake!    :)    Wait ... that's 2 pieces of cake isn't it?    ;)

cvillanu

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:38:43 PM »
believe me...i've tried to show her, but she doesn't want anything to do with it. she says it's over her head! so i'm considering my options. sheesh!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 01:23:21 AM »
Well, if you really want to install the keylogger, you'd probably have to:
1. Stop avast! resident protection temporarily
2. Install the program
3. Activate avast! resident protection again
4. Find what file is being detected as infected and put it into the list of avast! exclusions (probably for both Standard Shield and On-demand scanner). Of course, you shouldn't perform any actions on it when detected (i.e. don't delete or move the file).

The file you mentioned in the first post is probably just a temporary file, created with a random name during installation. I'd expect it to have a fixed name after installed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 01:27:03 AM »
We weren't saying the file was definitely a problem but keyloggers can be used for logging your username, passwords, credit card details and pass them back to someone who installs a key logger without your knowledge. So as said it is difficult to differentiate between a keylogger that you installed or one that is installed withput your knowledge.

It has got to be easier using a text editor or copy and paste, than have to resort to a keylogger, just in case the connection is lost.

If that happens there should still be a copy of the email either in the outbox untill the email is successfully sent or in the sent items folder. You could also set your email up to store a copy of all sent email so something should remain.

What is your email program ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 01:46:13 AM »
believe me...i've tried to show her, but she doesn't want anything to do with it. she says it's over her head! so i'm considering my options. sheesh!

Yep I know what you are saying took me years to get my darling to use the control key +A Select (all text is highlighted in the page in Focus) Control + C to Copy||Control  + X to Cut and Guess what?
Control  +V Paste the magic V Key
you could Hide the mouse and cover the keyboard all but
Control +A+X+C+V+Z=undo once the Doc or Email is open
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 02:51:43 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!