Author Topic: SOA 8.0.1607 console on WinSrvr 2012R2 not working  (Read 6427 times)

REDACTED

SOA 8.0.1607 console on WinSrvr 2012R2 not working
« on: August 06, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
I just install the latest Small Office Admin console on a different server as I am retiring my old console server. I know that the SOA is working as I can successfully access it from another computer.

I know that this is a setting in Windows and I have already turned off Enhanced Internet Security for IE in the control panel and it has the latest patches.

I have looked around for any settings to change, but I'm not seeing anything.

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: SOA 8.0.1607 console on WinSrvr 2012R2 not working
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:15:56 AM »
I've found threads from 2014 about this issue that were never resolved. AVAST is notorious for having lacking support, if any, for their business products (The free product has 24/7 phone support but the business product can't even get a competent response in under 1 week...sigh...)

ANYWAY,

Same issue here. Server 2012 R2 Essentials with AVAST SOA Program Version: 1.3.3.42, Database version: 1450 IE Enhanced Security was already off for admins, but we toggled it off for EVERYONE, then back on, then off again, all the while checking the console but it had zero effect. We've added the local IP as a "trusted" site, tried lowering all security settings in I.E., even tried resets of the settings but literally NO DIFFERENCE no matter what we try. I even uninstalled Silverlight, downloaded a fresh copy via Microsoft, installed that and re-tested but no luck.

Console loads fine on Windows 7 computers running Internet Explorer 11 (Same version server has). When trying to access it on the server, weather it be by Hostname, IP or using localhost:port, it's just a blank page. The title bar actually changes to "avast! Small Office Adminis..." so you think it's going to work... but it never does. Eventually if you wait long enough the title changes and the page reads the generic "Page cannot be displayed".

There's no default chrome support as it uses Silverlight. I personally use Chrome with IE Tab addin for other silverlight websites, which usually works fine, but even that has the same issue where the title loads but a blank page otherwise.

This is happening in a small, windows-based environment, about 10 workstations total, but we have other clients/environments on server 2012 that don't have the issue. It seems to be isolated to server 2012 essentials, but I'm just guessing on that part.

I do believe this should be enough information to merit a response from a tech... however in the past I've done this and simply gotten no response because no one knows the answer. I'm optimistic!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:19:28 AM by tguggino »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
Supported :
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 (any edition with latest Service Pack, x64bit, incl. Small Business Server/Essentials, except Server Core)
https://www.avast.com/endpoint-protection-suite
Is the latest service pack installed and is the system x64?

It is a old post but perhaps it helps > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=124139.0

Looks like the FAQ needs to be updated, 2012 is not supported > https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB76

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
Supported :
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 (any edition with latest Service Pack, x64bit, incl. Small Business Server/Essentials, except Server Core)
https://www.avast.com/endpoint-protection-suite
Is the latest service pack installed and is the system x64?

It is a old post but perhaps it helps > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=124139.0

Looks like the FAQ needs to be updated, 2012 is not supported > https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB76

Appreciated. The link about installation/migration doesn't help as it's obviously already setup, but the lack of 2012 support is news to me! I love how one area of the site says it's all fine and dandy, then another says it's not supported...

Gee I wonder why so many people are ditching AVAST  :-X

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
I didn't say 2012 isn't supported, just that it looks like the FAQ needs to be updated.

According to the main site 2012 is supported if you have the latest SP installed and using a x64 system.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »
I didn't say 2012 isn't supported, just that it looks like the FAQ needs to be updated.

According to the main site 2012 is supported if you have the latest SP installed and using a x64 system.

To answer the questions, yes and yes. There are a few updates that are set to run tonight but it's been automatic on a schedule to run after hours.

Still nothing from an actual AVAST staff... No surprise. Can't wait till our subscription expires ughhhh.

The OP doesn't seem to be checking this either...Maybe their just silently watching?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:31:43 PM by tguggino »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:47:20 PM »
The OP doesn't seem to be checking this either...Maybe their just silently watching?
Who knows.
Could be the problem is solved, not thinking about his post here, on holiday etc.

Still nothing from an actual AVAST staff.
Indeed no surprise if you haven't submitted a ticket ;)

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
Try In-Private mode of IE.

The normal mode sends a HTTP header, which Silverlight does not understand, so it doesn't load.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:39 PM »
Indeed no surprise if you haven't submitted a ticket ;)
^ Yeah figured someone would mention that. I have horror stories from AVAST tickets that make people cringe...I understand if you'd rather not believe me and just mark me off as an A*Hole, but I'd rather that then have to explain the list of complaints we've had with that "ticket system".

Main issue is the delay (Literally 4-8 hours for a response is 100% normal and to be expected, which wouldn't be AS bad if the tech gave a competent response and didn't just ask questions YOU ALREADY ANSWERED or give you canned nonsense that doesn't even apply to your darn issue!). Takes a full week to get a ticket "Resolved", but every ticket we had was "resolved" because they couldn't figure out the problem and we eventually had to work things out on our own, or just accept the bug.

TL:DR - These forums ARE the ticket system, as much more competent people are here then on the ticket system (from our experience over a few years and a few diff support accounts)

For example, yourself, although I believe I'm coming off rude and a bit snobby, I apologize because you're already more helpful then most techs we've worked with in the past simply because you FULLY READ my replies. Much appreciated!

Try In-Private mode of IE.

The normal mode sends a HTTP header, which Silverlight does not understand, so it doesn't load.

^ THAT's WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! THIS MAN JUST SOLVED IT IN 5 WORDS!!  This would have been a week long ticket, probably never resolved from our past-experiences.

THANK YOU SIR! Much appreciated!!

P.S. - Yes, we did plenty of searching and "googling" and couldn't find anything about in-private before, so this was awesome to read! Thank youuuu!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:59:26 PM by tguggino »

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »
You are welcome. ;)

Hope OP follows his thread too.