Author Topic: Free firewall for home PC  (Read 5280 times)

Nightquest

Free firewall for home PC
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »
Hi!

I just bought new PC, and i'm wondering, what kind of free firewall i should install. At the moment i have ZoneAlarm in this old computer. Some of my friends said that Sygates personall firewall is good, some says that kerio personall firewall is good ja some says that zonealarm is good.

So, what firewall you use? It should of course work with avast!, and it should be easy to use...

What is your own favourite?

CharleyO

Re: Free firewall for home PC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »

Since you asked, I have used ZoneAlarm Free for at least 5 years. I find it easy to set-up and use ... plus light on resources. It also stealths the ports on my computer.    :)

Other users have their own favorites and I am sure they will post here shortly.    ;)

Welcome to the forums, Nightquest!    :)

Be sure to come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    ;)

MFB

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »
Hi there, you can use the search option on top and find many topics that relates to your question.   :)

Yannis

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
Welcome to forum
I use Zone Alarm along with several other products, see my signature at the bottom.
To be honest, I have not tried Kerio or any other so I can not say anything bad about it.   :-X
But I am just fine with Zone Alarm  freeware.
I hope it helps
Best regards
Yannis
 :D

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:46:10 PM »
Some of my friends said that Sygates personall firewall is good, some says that kerio personall firewall is good ja some says that zonealarm is good.

Actually they are all right as all of these are very good firewalls, of course there are more good firewalls out there but none that i would recommend to a novice user, i see you have ZA already installed and i would suggest you stick with it  ;)

BTW my favorite is(still) Kerio...

Cheers

Mikey

viruzth

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 01:14:37 AM »
According to techsupportalert dot  com 46 best freeware... Kerion come as number one and zone alarm is the 2nd... but me my self, is using ZA coz the site told me that ZA is the best one for noobs [like me ^^]

err.. sir, can i post a link? link to a website?

Gene J

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
I use ZoneAlarm (free) on my desktop and have had good luck with it for the past couple of years.

I also use Sygate (free) on my laptop and have had good luck with it also for the past year.

Any firewall will take a little getting used to. Your favorite will be which ever one you feel most comfortable with. Try more than one. The one that seems to be easiest to use for the person unaquainted with a firewall is ZA. I like the video tutorial.

viBlast

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:07:21 AM »
hello all  :) im back againg well some month ago  was asking for a good firewall and them most people tolld me to look for kerio and i didn't have any problem with it so i think you should download kerio ;) i hope this result to you useful

bye jhonattan

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »
Hi Nightquest,

Actually there are many good software firewalls to use.
If you are relatively new to firewalling or want a reliable product without much ado ZA is the choice of many. Personally I have used Sygate for many a season. Kerio also is a good firewall.
A pity is that some good free software firewalls are no longer supported or bought out by big software houses.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!