Author Topic: Feedback: Tried to use Avast free AV (again) but failed (again)  (Read 1723 times)

REDACTED

I tried using Avast free AV in 2015 but if I remember correctly I was getting annoying popups and a separate issue also crashed my PC several times which made me use Avira instead
Old thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=171494.msg1217434#msg1217434

Now Avira is full of popups (why do free AV's think it's ok to push popups? it's 2016...)

So I tried Avast again hoping it would be somewhat different before going back to AVG as a last resort, AVG never caused me any problems in the past (I like to try different AV's every few years)

I also tried Bitdefender free but the lack of settings or custom options was irritating... so many things being blocked that I had no control over - instant uninstall

Avast Feedback:

So the install tries to put bloat on your PC as default (lots of features you don't need), so selecting minimal installation solved that problem

The settings UI is still complicated and over-done (I've seen worse, Avira for example) but 5 minutes should be enough to find the privacy option to stop sending data to Avast

The front page when you open the AV is useless... the only thing it tells you is "you are protected".... thanks Avast that's very helpful

So why am I uninstalling Avast this time round? Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer

Windows Security Center just doesn't know what to do with itself

I tried everything and reinstalled Avast multiple times and so many system restarts I just don't have the patience to fix something that shouldn't be broken

I may return in a few years to see how far it has come, but for now, farewell my friends
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:28:08 AM by supersharpshooter »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Feedback: Tried to use Avast free AV (again) but failed (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
why do free AV's think it's ok to push popups?
In short.
Because the use it to promote their pays products.
They are after all commercial companies and have to make money if they want to keep existing.

So the install tries to put bloat on your PC as default (lots of features you don't need), so selecting minimal installation solved that problem
What is needed/wanted is all for the user to decide.
You might things not needed while others are sure they need them.
How do they  say that...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

The settings UI is still complicated and over-done (I've seen worse, Avira for example) but 5 minutes should be enough to find the privacy option to stop sending data to Avast
Took me about a minute to find it.
But as with all software, you need to spend time learning how to use it.
What settings it is offering the user, what the settings do etc.
And as often is the case, it is also a matter of getting used to things.

Complicated ?
That depends on the user.
What knowledge the user has, capability of logical thinking etc.
Some find it complicated, others find it real easy.
The problem is that the UI is always a compromise.
Put only a few options in it and people start complaining that they can't find/change certain settings.
Put many options in it and people start complaining it has to many options.
You could say the UI is based on what the average users would like to see.

So why am I uninstalling Avast this time round? Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer
Let me guess, you are using Windows Vista.
If you do, a little (re)search would have told you the problem is know and that avast is already working on it.

As for trying multiple av's, I sure hope you removed everyone completely before install a new one.
If not you will have a lot of trash on your system and it can lead to problems.
https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/
Removing through control panel and/or using the removal tool from a vendor is not removing everything.
Only way to do so it to remove it manually.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
Thanks for responding

I understand why they need popups to advertise and make money from their paid services but I really dislike this style of advertising, but nothing is perfect right?

And I agree everybody has a different taste for what's required and what level of protection they want, for me it's minimal features and basic protection since I have no need to install any of the other services that were selected by default on the Avast installation

And Correct! I did a quick search but didn't find a good source regarding the AV not being found by Windows Vista so I assumed it was unsafe

It seemed odd at first, but am I correct in thinking that the AV will run OK if I select "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself"?

Edit:
Yep I clear up everytime I remove software I no longer need
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:31:45 PM by supersharpshooter »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
avast does run fine, it is just the security center of Windows that is reporting it wrong.

Nothing is perfect, people say.
But yet they take a message from Windows for true without even thinking that Windows might not be perfect ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
Now I'm debating with myself how accurate those reports are and you're probably right

I have OCD when it comes to trusting an antivirus but I appreciate the info!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:21:56 PM by supersharpshooter »