Author Topic: Post-mortem on problem between Avast! Nitro Free and Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 2121 times)

REDACTED

Hi all,

I was wondering if any Avast! staff monitor this forum, because I wanted to provide a bug report based on my experience with upgrading a couple of machines from Windows 8.1 -> 10. Please note that the problem has since been resolved with assistance from the kind folks at SysNative, but I just wanted to provide some information to Avast! that might help some of their customers avoid my problem in future. I will gladly provide details if someone is interested.

Regards,
sydbarrett74

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Post-mortem on problem between Avast! Nitro Free and Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »
Pls PM @petr.chytil from Avast! team with full details or Post it here.So everybody will see this. :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
Below is the introductory message I posted to SysNative:

Quote from: SysNative thread
I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre K410 with 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD (642GB free). It came with Windows 8 and is currently running 8.1. I have made numerous attempts to upgrade it to 10, with the same result:

0x8007002C - 0x4000D
The installation failed in the second boot phase with an error during Migrate_Data operation.

FWIW, it is running Avast! Nitro AV software - disabling this makes no difference. Besides the normal Windows Update method of upgrading, I've also tried using a DVD I burned using the media creation tool. This also failed to upgrade my PC.

Running sfc /scannow gave some errors which SFC was unable to correct.

The entire thread is located here

After following their advice to do a complete uninstallation of Avast!, including deleting any related scheduled tasks, I was able to perform the upgrade to Windows 10 without incident. Below are Google Drive links to ZIP's of CBS.log and the Windows 10 upgrade logfile hoping they'll help in a forensic analysis.

CBS log ZIP

Windows 10 upgrade log ZIP

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »
It was solved by Avast!. ;) I have same 0x8007002C - 0x4000D error and disabled all the shield and updated to windows 10.Now avast! is fully work with windows10 AU.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:22:55 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Just as info:

Let's see.
avast is installed on W8.1 and everything is fine.
If W10 is installed and you install avast everything is fine.
Guess where the problem is...
It is the update/upgrade process from Windows that fails.

Although the update/upgrade test says everything is fine and the update/upgrade will work, I've seen it fail many times and not just if avast is installed but with many applications and/or hardware.
After the first complaints MS said "No it is not us, it is that third party software".
Hmm, ok then why did your test tool didn't report even a possible problem ?
Yup, only silence from MS about it.

The problem is that anti-malware software nowadays often protects itself rather well against changes by other software including Windows (or for that matter any OS that is used)
Ofcourse MS and avast are testing things, but it is not possible to test every software(setting)hardware combination before releasing something.
With 100's of billions of possible system configurations, it would be a real big surprise if there is none that experience a problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
I have had something similar I HAVE ADVAST installed on windows 10 working fine one day woke up computer says insert bootdisk no mater what I do will not boot.   formatted  drive reinstall windows install avast as soon as I upgrade advast I can not load windows wipes the boot so now I have been running with out avast and no problems....guess I have to purchase a different antivirus