Author Topic: 2 anti virus?  (Read 5404 times)

henryjl

2 anti virus?
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:10:32 PM »
Hi,
I was just wondering if having 2 anti virus is a good idea?
Thanks

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: 2 anti virus?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:27:49 PM »
Hi henryjl,

It is recommended to use only one resident anti-virus scanner on your machine. You can add a non-resident scanner, when it is compatible with your main scanning application, ClamWin can be a second scanning application you can download to be used alongside for instance Avast. Then you can download various on-demand scanner, for which you download the latest version from the Internet, DrWebCureIt, stinger.exe. Then you have on-line scanners, for instance BitDefender is a very good one.
Here make sure that the online scanner's definitions do not conflict with your resident scanner. It is a fact that Panda and Avast may lead to conflicts. A good aide can be to download the DrWeb hyperlink-pre-scanning plug-in for your browser. With this small browser add-on you can check your links inside a browser against the most recent definitions on the update servers of DrWeb.
Also it is recommended to have the Avast Webshield run inside your default browser, read more instruction how to do this on the Avast home site.
So scanning OK, but establish that the dogs can stand each other,
and the main rule:
do not use two or more resident scanners on a comp!

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

henryjl

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
Hey thanks for the advice :)
I will need a firewall as well. But what is a good or best one?
And avast is better then AVG free right? + Do avast update everyday?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »
Yes you do need a firewall, I would recommend ZA Free but there are other free ones available and I am sure you will soon get a list.  Yes in my opinion avast is a lot better than avg, but I am biased.  Updates are as and when required not at specific times.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:57:33 PM »
Hey thanks for the advice :)
I will need a firewall as well. But what is a good or best one?
As a happy ex AVG user who jumped ship to avast over 20 months ago, I would say yes, in many areas, configurability, flexability, more features/providers, I feel better detection, a dream as far as updates are concerned (as opposed to a nightmare, I always had problems with it) and the support (gives AVGs a kicking) even for home users.

Welcome to the forums and the avast family.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
Hi henryjl,

Well it is recommended to have at least a resident software firewall solution  on your computer. The firewall that you can start to use  and gives least problems for average users and also combines good with Avast is ZoneAlarm free. If you line to tweak your firewall, Comodo is also a good firewall, but I think for more advanced users . Always just like with Antivirus use one Firewall only.
Then if you do not want another major problem on your computer, that is spyware, adware and scumware: download Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, and SpywareBlaster. With these three programs you are aptly protected.
An anti-trojan solution could be a-squared or for Windows XP: ewido.

Avast better, we think so. But let us keep it at this:  Avast is just a different AV solution than AVG. There is no comparing apples and pears!

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Staind

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »
The only advantage AVG has over Avast! is system resource usage, and that really is quite small - and AVG is increasing considerably with each release.

henryjl

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »
system resource as in the amount of memory it uses?

viruzth

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:29:19 AM »
Quote from: henryjl

:o Hmm... i think AVG is better than Avast lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and that's why we are using Avast lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D [no flame, just a joke] peace
I know it is not fair, but i have a testimonial about AVG+Firewall... and i was AVG user once, but it is not free and it did miss a Virus and then i install avast home, it clean everything! [True Story]
and again, i have a good tip for you, never believe a testimonial about other antivirus [beside avast] from an avast user  :-* :-* :-*

i'm using 2 av... avast home and antivir free... but for real time protection, i'm using avast...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:36:41 AM by viruzth »