Author Topic: resident protection disabled ??  (Read 5002 times)

cam1082

resident protection disabled ??
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi,  New to this and a new install, I am finding that after I boot and and go to the simple user interface avast resident protection is labeled disabled in the simple user interface .  Using the protection level slide   does not activate "resident protection"
"Tasks running" icon ( which is only showing sometimes) shows resident protection is enabled for instant messanging, mail , outlook exchange, p2p. standardand web shield.   Msconfig shows avast running .  What do I need to do get it to show protection enabled in the user interface or do I simply need not bother with it?

Also clicking on the "chest" button results in error message "program cannot use chest. RPC server unavailable.  Does this feature require input from the avast server? I am running 98se and zone alarm, with avast services enabled. Disableing Zone Alarm makes so difference.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled avast.  Any help here appreciated.

thanks,  Cam
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:53:00 AM by cam1082 »

CharleyO

Re: resident protection disabled ??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:22:56 AM »

Please tell us your computer's OS since answers can depend on this.    :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »
Did you have (or have you) any other AV installed on your system, if so what and how did you get rid of it ?

To enable the Resident providers and change their settings, clcik on the avast 'a' icon and click the detailed view, if not already showing details. You can then choose individual providers to enable and or adjust settings as required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cam1082

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »
Sorry forgot the windows part when I mentioned 98 se for operating system above.   Yes, cliking on the avast icon at the lower rfight of the screed brings up a window that allows control over the various features.  I was referring to the toolbar that launches when you choose avast from the start menu/program files.  It throws up a little remote control looking thing "skin" . It is here that resident protection always defaults back to disabled. It seems to me that it should indicate a consistancy with the menu offered by clicking the "a" icon. 

The other issue was I was referring to was the "chest" which seems to require server interaction. remote procedure call. I was wondering if this was really necessary as  I have dcom disabled ? I guess my concern is that virus software may not work properly if this feature is unavailable.  Could these issues be related????

Cam

scottnew

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a similar problem but posted it here

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18487.0

But it could be the wrong place any advice would be appreciated to add it is running on XP.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »
You shouldn't need to use the Start, Programs, Avast, etc. this is the on-demand scanner (Simple User Interface), you can right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, a little quicker. This is not the best place to change the Resident Scanner settings as it is not as configurable as the regular Standard Shield.

Did you have another AV installed if so what?

Check out the info on this link and some of the options [url]http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_1539[/url], DCOM and RPC are different.

@ Scottnew
You should leave it in that location as the information you gave there isn't replicated here and those helping would have to switch threads to get the information and try to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cam1082

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:27:44 AM »
I realize that the start menu is not the preferred method of changing setttings.  I simply ran across the anomaly in the start menu program via curiousity.  I would not normally use the start menu or the desktop icon shortcut.

Yes, I did have a previous version of Avast installed and I regret that I do  not recall which version. It had been on my machine since October or so and was available at that time.  I did an uninstall using add/remove and deleted one alwil folder or registry key, memory foggy on this.  Then I installed Mcafee antivirus which is available from comcast with no charge. The resource drain on my machine was too great so I uninstalled that with add/remove and then removed one final folder manually along with deleting two registry keys that made reference to Mcafee.   I then downloaded Avast home /pro 4.6 and installed it with the current result.

galooma

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 03:41:28 AM »
Hi cam ,I guess the fear is that there are some leftover remnants of your last AV which have corrupted the install of Avast!. Go here http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=22&resolution=1280x1024&rurl=&rqs=  and see if you can fix the uninstall. Then run a repair of Avast! through Add/remove programs. (You need to be online for this to work)
Good luck :)

cam1082

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 06:06:06 PM »
HI Cloussau

At the time I removed the final Mcafee file, I actually was on the phone to Mcaffee support. They assured me that this the uninstall would be complete after manual removal of one final file.   The file I refer to was a Mcafee security update file that was trying to access the internet all the time. I had to rename it in safe mode and then delete. 

I went to Mcafee support page per your link and the only thing I could figure that might be related to this issue was a notation that Mcaffee security center used some .dll files from ie that might be corrupt. I downloaded the fix: IERegFix.bat. and ran it.  Reboot, avast repair, reboot... avast remains the same.

Actually I really don't care if the little remote skin thing from the start menu works or not.  I was hoping to ascertain that the  basic functions of avast are working albeit without that feature. I suppose that it is really not possible to tell if the heart of the program is working properly in spite of the fact that windows indicates avast is running and the avast icon in the tray works fine. I guess I was hoping for a diagnostic short of an actual  virus. 

thanks Cam1082

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
Fill your boots ;D

EICAR ANTI-VIRUS TEST PAGE
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
Web Shield Test
http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

NOD32 - JPEG Exploit
http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.jpg http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.zip

EMAIL VIRUS TEST
You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

cam1082

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 09:50:35 PM »
good stuff !!!  :)

thank you  DavidR