Author Topic: August versions: 12.3.2279 + 2280  (Read 141433 times)

REDACTED

Re: NEW August versions: 12.3.2279 + 2280
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
SHIT - SHIT - SHIT ... Avast WHAT ARE YOU DOING???
Changing software "WITHOUT ANY NOTICE" is "NOT DONE" and a MALWAREPRACTICE !!!

I am adminstrator of multiple devices with Avast Antivirus since years...
I know how it works, and thereby decided to stick with version 10.4.2233 on all of them.
Only seriously tested and bugfree sofware would I consider to install.
What happened last week with Avast is not only a bug, but a MALWAREPRACTICE !!!
All the devices updated automaticly to version 12.3.2280... "WITHOUT ANY NOTICE" and so "NO POSIBILITY TO STOP IT".
Most concernig is also the fact that in the "protected settings" "only virus-definition-updates were alowed"...
PROGRAMVERSION WAS NOT ALOWED TO UPDATE!!!

My devices "UPGRADED TO LATEST PROGRAMVERSION" even "JUST AFTER REBOOT... "NO USERS LOGGED IN"...
What the hell are you thinking and doing???
This is a MALWAREPRACTICE !!! to install new versions "WITHOUT ANY NOTICE" ... certainly when programupdates were blocked in the settings just to prevent this!!!

The software should only be changed with approval of the administrator... in this case me.
All settings en programmacces are protected with a password... which normal users don't know.
So... they did not do that!
They were sometimes even "not loged in".

Most concernig EXTRA THING...
Since there was a protected zone with password... to protect Avast from other users messing with it...
I can not enter this new program and settings any more, as I can't enter the password in the program-protectionwindow.

Resetting all the devices to previous restore points will be useless... as the "NOT INTENDED PROGRAMUPDATE" is happenig by itself after reboot!!!

WHO DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ???
Happened on multiple devices in my account, running W7 and W8.1.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
Calm down please.
avast has the right (as all other av vendors I have checked) to roll out updates without asking the user if they believe it is needed.
You agreed to this term by installing avast.
avast will do so if e.g. there is a bug that fixes a security issue.

Updating has nothing to do with what you call "malware practice".

REDACTED

« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
Eddy,
I think there is something you try to minimize...
"roll out new updates" is certainly a right of every softwaremaker... BUT...

"Installing new sofware" - "Without notifying first" and specificly when "program-updates in the settings were blocked" IS NOT DONE.
This new version installed at bootup... No keys were touched... Laptop was at logon-screen with no users logged on.

I believe no-one can agree with software installing new versions without at least notifying the adminstrator, and give the posibility to prevent the upgrade. If the administrator stated that a specific version shoud be used on his devices, then this should stay so.
Only in the situation when administrator "allowed automatic programupdates", then you are right in your statement.

Only malware installs "without the knowledge of the user/administrator"... which is a "malware practice".
As I realy wanted to stay with latest version 10... I blocked the "program-updates" in the settings (but definitionupdates were alowed)
Then I protected the settings with a password to prevent users to update the program or change these settings.
This should keep all my devices at the same version 10, but recent definitions.

The least that Avast could do is give an anouncement, but NEVER update this programversion by itself (which was set so in settings).
Some users do NOT want programupdates beside the installed versions.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
It is not new software as avast is already installed.
It is a update to the existing software.
Hence why it is called a new version and not a new product.

And yes, avast can and will roll out push updates if they wish to do so and are allowed to overwrite the users update settings.
Look at what they have done (and how they have done it) with the roll out of the SafeZone Browser to the users of the free av version.

As I have stated in several of those threads, avast has the right to do so.
I agree they should only do so if there is e.g. a fix for a security flaw in the software and not when there is a new version (option/component).

No matter what we feel/like/want, it doesn't change the faqs as they are now.
We can only hope avast will change things.

REDACTED

« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
Eddy,
Thanks for your reply, and understand that I have nothing against you personaly ;-)

This is just the wrong way from Avast of forcing people to the latest version... which is not always the best.
Several systemcrashes in the past caused by new versions and updates made me blocking all unwanted updates of any software, and setting it to manual updates.
After tests on one device, before installing it on all items at the same time... Updates could be installed later after tests.
This includes also Avast and is the main reason I blocked the free Windows10 update on all devices.
I decide "which update" I want to install... and "when".

As you said "It is an update to the existing software." and I do not wish any updates...
The update settings should be followed as set by the user...always!

SafeZone Browser...??? No comment as I don't know what you really mean by this...
Is this problematic as I see SafeZone Browser added indeed with the free av versions... but I never used or selected this before.

The main point of my reaction is that all my devices have now "New - Unwanted" versions installed without any notification that could be interupted and causing me several days of extra work.
Not all devices I have to check are near my location, and the Avast protected zone can not be accessed by remote.
Causing me multiple days of work and traveling around.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2016, 10:29:19 PM »
Eddy like myself are Avast users.
I've requested that someone from Avast reply to your post and concerns.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
What happened last week with Avast is not only a bug, but a MALWAREPRACTICE !!!
All the devices updated automaticly to version 12.3.2280... "WITHOUT ANY NOTICE" and so "NO POSIBILITY TO STOP IT".
Ah! So this did happen! lol

I had also noticed this auto-update on my PC. 

What's the point of checking to be only alerted on updates or opting for the manual updates when Avast will roll out a mandatory update no matter the user setting?

I spent a whole day having to tweak the new update plus uninstall unwanted and clumsy components.  You see I work on new software development so I have to exclude many paths to my apps. I know I can disable the feature--I think now you call it CyberCapture--I believe my old version used to call it something else--hence why the old settings didn't transfer to the new feature -- but I don't want to completely be without protection, this is why I rather select paths that I want the monitoring to be excluded when I run something.

I think Avast is doing something wrong, but who am I to argue when I use the free version.  I'm simply at maggot level when it comes to your membership here. :)

I just hope you guys know what your doing.  I recall years back when I would quickly trust any updates from Avast, but in the last 5 years, I started to not trust anymore your abilities to keep the app bug free when you would roll out a new update.  Seems like your recent techs don't test enough or perhaps have gotten lazy, clumsy, or perhaps your best techs have left the company--who knows?

Whatever the case, it would be nice if it would at least obey the user settings to manually update the software.  This way I can browse the forums to read if the new version is buggy as hell before spending a whole day trying to configure it out on my own.  Especially since I was hoping to spend that day on something more important to me.

P.S. Is there a way to learn what the last version I had before the update in my PC?  Just so I have a point of reference to understand what has changed since then?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:21:53 AM by JeffSD »

REDACTED

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2016, 05:45:40 PM »
Avast team immediately update the bug in avast premier,
I wait program renewal version, i hope it is not too long to renewal program that version.

Regard,
Dominic

Offline noelrojasc

• Usuario desde la versión 5
Is there going to be a new October version of Avast?
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
Since you announced there were going to be monthly releases of Avast - and we had no new version in September - I just would like to know ... is there going to be a new October version? Thanks! :)
DELL Optiplex 790, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits, Avast Free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »
Well, there have been some updates/fixes already.
They have been micro updates (they are rolled out with VPS updates)
But as those updates are "minor" ones, the version number of avast hasn't changed and people are not aware of them.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Since you announced there were going to be monthly releases of Avast - and we had no new version in September - I just would like to know ... is there going to be a new October version? Thanks! :)

Still 18 days in October, but I rather doubt there would be a release in that time frame as there is no beta build being tested.

Personally I'm in no hurry and wouldn't want an update pushed out the door just to make a deadline.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
You can keep track of any new betas in this channel:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0

Newest one most relevant to you:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=190717.0

Otherwise, problems and features of the latest beta in development will be discussed under the Beta channel.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
Does this fix any issues involving Skype group calls on a 1.66GHz N450 and 1GB of RAM?

I ask this because for whatever reason, Skype never let me into group calls with Avast on my PC.  ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
Does this fix any issues involving Skype group calls on a 1.66GHz N450 and 1GB of RAM?
I ask this because for whatever reason, Skype never let me into group calls with Avast on my PC.  ???
Best you start a new topic and provide some details there.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
I've noticed that Avast has started changing the icons in their programs to reflect their new logo (I'm using Avast Free). I'm assuming this is done by an emergency update silently in the background.