Author Topic: [SOLVED] When Avast shields are active Sync (sync.com) app is not working.  (Read 6638 times)

Offline SinsBird

When shields are active Sync application can't connect to the server. Why is that?
Avast version: 12.3.2279 (build 12.3.3149.0)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:00:13 PM by SinsBird »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
i assume it work if you turn off webshield only?

Offline SinsBird

I haven't tried disabling them one at a time yet. Going to do it now.
EDIT: Yes, it's the webshield. Without it Sync works fine.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:40:16 PM by SinsBird »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Has this ever worked with avast and not just with this new version ?

I don't use sync.com but I do use dropbox and that is able to sync to my other system, win7 netbook.

Given what sync.com says on its first page:
Quote from: extract from sync.com
Learn more about Sync and how we protect your privacy in this 2 minute video.

Also "Sync.com is a fully encrypted cloud service that makes it easy to store, share and access your files from"

I just wonder if this privacy and encryption doesn't have an adverse impact on avast trying to filter web traffic through the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SinsBird

It didn't work before.

Off topic: What are you going to do when dropbox stops working on Win XP (August 29)?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Off topic: What are you going to do when dropbox stops working on Win XP (August 29)?
Use Win10   ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It didn't work before.

Nothing, I really don't use it that much and I have already started doing what I did before. I download once and save to a USB and install it on my other system as I did before dropbox. It isn't that much hassle as I almost always saved a backup copy of what executables, etc. that I downloaded.

I don't know if there is a sync.com executable that does all of the upload/syncing, if so you might be able to Exclude. avastUI > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Customise > Exclusions - Processes to exclude.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Use Win10   ;)

I'd rather eat worms ;)

Offline SinsBird

It didn't work before.

Nothing, I really don't use it that much and I have already started doing what I did before. I download once and save to a USB and install it on my other system as I did before dropbox. It isn't that much hassle as I almost always saved a backup copy of what executables, etc. that I downloaded.

I don't know if there is a sync.com executable that does all of the upload/syncing, if so you might be able to Exclude. avastUI > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Customise > Exclusions - Processes to exclude.

Tried excluding a few processes, but didn't help. Is there some sort of log file that would show recently blocked processes/connections?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:30:39 PM by SinsBird »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you aren't getting any alerts from avast, then I'm afraid there won't be anything recorded to whatever log (shield log) the activity was recorded in.

The first issue is identifying what shield might be involved, this is most likely to be the file system shield and the web shield. You would effectively have to set those shields log settings (Report file) to record, Soft errors, OK items and Skipped items.

There is a downside to this as the file would get big pretty quick.

Offline SinsBird

Ok, done. Where can I find that log file?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Shield logs are in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report folder in XP.

Offline SinsBird

What if there is no report folder?
Logs show nothing wrong  :-\
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:23:49 PM by SinsBird »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What if there is no report folder?
Logs show nothing wrong  :-\

Presumably you found the report folder, there are times when that ApplicationData sub-folder and those below it may be hidden.

That said finding the file isn't going to be easy given that avast isn't alerting to give you a clue. What processes are running in the Task Manager that belong to sync (and did you exclude that process) ?

Given that you have excluded certain processes without effect, then you haven't found the correct process involved in the syncing of folders. You may need to ask this question in the sync.com forum if they have one to try and pin down the process you need to exclude in the web shield.

Offline SinsBird

I've excluded sync-refresh.exe, sync-taskbar.exe, sync-worker.exe and syncus-taskbar.exe. I'll try excluding all exes in Sync's folder.
Support suggested disabling Web Shield  ;D