Author Topic: non-commercial use inquiry  (Read 13295 times)

Pavel Baudis

Re:non-commercial use inquiry
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2003, 08:53:08 AM »
Sure does.
That's not what I wanted to hear...but it's the complete and final answer that I was searching for.

I will still continue to use avast! 4 Home at HOME, but now I'll have to consider the cost of registering it for the business or go another route.

You might also take the advice I gave here (I mean about the discount) ;)

Pavel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 12:19:19 PM »
I collected some Pavel's information in the quoted forums:

Avast licensing scheme there are two conditions which qualify the user for free non-limited usage of our avast! 4 Home. The rules are clear: home AND non-commercial use

1) it must be the home usage - so any organisations (non-profit or commercial) are disqualified.
2) there should not be any commercial activity done on the computer which is to be protected by avast!,
i.e., if you use it to make some profit, you also do not qualify for avast! Home usage, even on the home computer.
So both conditions should be met for free program!

Anyway, you can try to send the e-mail to sales@avast.com and ask discounts there...
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 03:26:19 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 07:52:45 PM »
Technical,

Your effort is appreciated.  I finally found the criteria on the Alwil site under Product information/Avast4.

It really does not explain what their definition of commercial use really is, however the condition that it must be for "home" use knocks everything else out.  I can understand their view.

Like I said, I hate the legalize and that is why I always comply with the terms of license.  When in doubt, I purchase the commercial version as I have with Avast Pro and other such software.

Lastly, the Avast team puts a large amount of time into giving all of us a product that we can rely on, and abuse of the "free" priviledge can be understood.

Again, sorry for my misinterpretation.

techie

trevlac5

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2003, 04:04:24 PM »
Would it be fair to say that this interpretation is the universal interpretation for "FREE FOR HOME USE ONLY" progs?

Also, let me be clear on this: I am not griping over the requirement to purchase this product - it is worth the price. I am mearly discriminating between all the products that have impressed me thus far. If there are 2 products that have basically the same features and effectiveness, but one of them is FREE, then I would tend to pick the FREE one.

techie101

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 04:13:56 PM »
[quote
Would it be fair to say that this interpretation is the universal interpretation for "FREE FOR HOME USE ONLY" progs?

trev,

I wish I could say without reservation that it would always be the case.  As you worded it in your post, I would say yes, but the only way to ever be sure is to ask the vendor for a clarrification.

As we saw here with this thread......interpretation based upon "other" vendors Terms of License did not apply to Avast and Non-profit organizations.

See what I mean!

techie