Author Topic: Need info on a file  (Read 7274 times)

nixmonkey

Need info on a file
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »
Hello All,

I'd like to know, please, if anyone knows what the following file is for:

UIDbgMon.out

I have a manually-created C:\Tmp folder that the file is in, and the system will not let me delete it.  The only program installed recently was HP printer software.  They didn't claim it, and uninstalling the HP software still leaves me with the file, unable to remove it.  I'm posting here (out of desperation) because I use avast, but I'm still concerned that it may be some kind of trojan horse.  I have no idea...the only google entry that comes up is in Russian.  If it's something silly, please forgive me.  (Win XP  SP2)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Need info on a file
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:58:30 AM »
Well there are 4 entries now and there is a translate this page link there on the google returns. But it would appear that there is nothing of value there.

Delete using MoveOnBoot http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nixmonkey

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 02:08:17 AM »
Ok, problem solved.

The file did belong to the HP software after all, no thanks to HP.  To delete it, I used a program called Unlocker, downloaded from nonags (since I didn't see a working download link on the author's page anymore).  It showed that the Windows spooling system had it locked.

Sorry for the bother, and thanks for link to the moveonboot software.  I think I'll download it in case it comes in handy sometime.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:33:01 PM »
Unlocker is good I use it too, I just couldn't find a link for it right to hand when I posted.

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security