Author Topic: Scanning Email w/Avast & Outlook Exp.  (Read 11581 times)

WinMEHell

Scanning Email w/Avast & Outlook Exp.
« on: December 05, 2003, 08:13:48 PM »
HI All,

I currently use Outlook Express 6.0 to get my email. I'd like to know how to configure Avast to automatically scan the email coming into Outlook Express. I'm running the latest Avast Pro 181 build and virus definitions.

I have all Hotmail accounts on Outlook Express, if that helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Scanning Email w/Avast & Outlook Exp.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 08:23:06 PM »
To configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
3. Click Next on the first screen
4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
    'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
    a) with MS Outlook/Exchange, the Wizard finishes here.
    b) with another e-mail client:
        After the service was disabled, choose Next
        Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
        Finish your configuration and the service will start again.

You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts'). Nowadays, the following Internet Mail Clients are supported: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

It´s not a problem, avast handles more than one SMTP server.
The best things in life are free.

Lars

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 09:51:45 PM »
I've got some issues here:

1. not all accounts (not profiles) in my OE profile (I've only got one profile with 2 accounts) are listed, only the last created one. Yet the pop server the wizard suggests is the pop server of my first account.

2. only the account information in OE of the account displayed in the wizard is changed (pop server set to 127.0.0.1) -- but does it use the correct pop server -- which was there before -- now??

3. Even if I choose not to scan outbound mail the wizard doesn't continue without me chosing a smtp server

4. the wizard doesn't restart the mailshield if i choose cancel or go back to the beginning if the wizard shut it down

I like to be able to scan any account on any OE profile on any XP profile. I like not to have to choose a smtp server if i don't scan outbound mail

I'm using OE latest version on WinXP

WinMEHell

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:03:29 PM »
Hotmail is a HTTP based !! I don't understand all this IMAP, POP and STMP server stuff.

I have no idea what properties to enter in order to get this thing running right.

Soes anyone else use Hotmail via Outlook Epress 6 in conjuntion with Avast and know how to configure the settings and what propertis to enter??

Help?!? :(

techie101

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 11:06:51 PM »
WinMeHell,

Let me try to simplify things a bit.

When you run the Mail Protection Wizard, just check "Protect all my accounts".  Since you are using Outlook express, Avast's Internet Mail module will cover any email coming to OE.

The way it works, is OE "reaches" out to Hotmail and pulls in all the email.  Avast redirects it to the local computer (yourself) by changing the server address of your computer (every computer has one) from whatever it is like 12.33.556 to simply 127.0.0.1.

Avast then scans the email and passes it on to OE if it is ok.
If not, you will be alerted.

The SMTP and POP3 addresses are those that your ISP uses to deliver your mail to OE even if Hotmail is forwarding it to OE (I think that is what you mean...Correct me I am wrong here)  Avast still needs to know the server address since NOT scanning outbound mail is an OPTION which can be reversed by the user at anytime.  Otherwise, the user would have to run the MPW each time.  Look at it this way....Avast wants to have the info just in case "sometime in the future"....  Know what I mean?

I hope this clears it up a bit.

techie
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 11:18:21 PM by techie101 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 12:06:42 AM »
this isnt a solution but it might help  :-\ build 181 is NOT the latest version could you update the program
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 04:28:04 AM »
version 181 ??????

What are you talking about?????

The only 181 I know is Adaware which has nothing to do with Avast.

Avast 4 Home is on build 304.

You lost me.  Could you explain?

techie

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 04:49:46 AM »
techie winmehell said he had avast pro build 181 in his FIRST post in this thread
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 04:50:09 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 12:08:04 PM »
Hey, WinMEHell, first, update your avast! We are at 4.1.304.

If you want to use webmail (Hotmail out of Outlook Express) you may have extra protection for scripts, attachment blocker and so on... Webmail, like any other web page, is not 'protected' by the Internet Module of avast!

But, if you want to use OE, the Mail Protection Wizard will do its job (I suppose). I'll try in a friend's computer who has Hotmail... If I remember, I'll post the results after)  ;D

Lars

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 04:07:50 PM »
when I choose "protect all my accounts", the wizard only asks me for one pop3 and one smtp server. But I have several. So are they getting protected? Are all my accounts really checked for new mail? This is confusing. Could this be clarified?

Also: can the wizards funtionality be integrated in the place where one activates/deactivates mail scanning. I seem to be able to access the wizard only from the start menu -- which I'm hardly using under WinXP.

(and another note: do the P2P and IM resident scanners take away "significant" resources when active: so will I feel a difference when they are not active?)

thanks! Lars

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 06:21:32 PM »
(and another note: do the P2P and IM resident scanners take away "significant" resources when active: so will I feel a difference when they are not active?)
I cant tell the diffreance and I have only 128 MB of RAM

techie101

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 07:42:03 PM »
Mac,

Thanks for the clarificatioin.   I missed that post.

I forget that I  have Pro also and it never dawned on me what version it was.

I guess the eyes are weak and the spirit old.  hahaha

techie

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 09:00:07 PM »
common mistake ive done it before.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 09:00:19 PM by MacLover2000 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 03:21:30 PM »
when I choose "protect all my accounts", the wizard only asks me for one pop3 and one smtp server. But I have several. So are they getting protected? Are all my accounts really checked for new mail? This is confusing. Could this be clarified?

Also: can the wizards funtionality be integrated in the place where one activates/deactivates mail scanning. I seem to be able to access the wizard only from the start menu -- which I'm hardly using under WinXP.

thanks! Lars

I use several smtp servers with avast and no trouble. You must follow the instructions at help file for manually configurating the e-mail accounts. Anyway, choose the pop and smtp from the server you 'connect' to the Internet and set the avast4.ini file properly. More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here.

Basically, you must see the [MailScanner] section:

DefaultPopServer=pop.<your ISP provider address>
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.<your ISP provider address>
AutoSetProtection=1 to protect new created e-mail account and 0 if you do not want to protect them
UseDefaultSmtp=0 if you have just more than one SMTP server (if you have just one, the value is 1)

Let us know if you need more help.  8)

Lars

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 04:02:14 PM »
actually I have several pop3 accounts...

How do I set up avast to scan all of them?