Author Topic: AvEngine.dll on selected ports?  (Read 4451 times)

Hapax-Legomenon

AvEngine.dll on selected ports?
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »
On page 11 of the administrator's guide, it states that the firewall must be configured to allow the AMS service (AvEngine.dll) to listen on selected ports.

Which ports are these?
I'm using the XP SP2 firewall.
I can't find the file AvEngine.dll, where is it supposed to be?

I'm getting quite a lot of error messages, I don't know if they are related.
In the clientside events:

20/02/2006   17:25:02   1140456302   SYSTEM   1560   Third server conn attempt (last good: 10.8.121.34:16111) failed. (error 0000274D). 
20/02/2006   17:25:11   1140456311   SYSTEM   1560   Cannot connect Server lookup didn't find any AMS'! socket, WinSock error 0x00000000 has occurred. 

20/02/2006   17:25:11   1140456311   SYSTEM   1560   CClient::PopupThread - GetConnection failed!

I reinstalled the AMS today as somtime since thursday, it ceased allowing me to login to the console, either remotely or from the local machine. The Machine actively refused the connection.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: AvEngine.dll on selected ports?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:21:01 PM »
The log entries you quoted are from a client (and not from the server), right?
The server is installed on an XP machine? With the firewall enabled?

Generally, you need to enable communication on port tcp/16111 (client -> management server), tcp/5033 (updater) and a couple of others which are not so important.

BTW it's not AvEngine.dll but AvEngine.exe.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hapax-Legomenon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:02:56 AM »
BTW it's not AvEngine.dll but AvEngine.exe.

.exe? Ah ok.
Then the administrators guide will need to be updated, as it does say .dll on page 11.

The log entries you quoted are from a client (and not from the server), right?
The server is installed on an XP machine? With the firewall enabled?

The AMS is being run by a desktop PC, which is running the network client version of the AV. The log entries I quoted are from that machine (the AMS). Does it have to communicate with itself through the network, despite being on the same machine?

Hapax-Legomenon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:04:40 PM »
Hexcellent. :)

We are on our way!
The AMS seems to have resolved it's communication issues with itself late monday, and is showing Green.
Now that I know it's avengine.exe, and have allowed that through the firewall, other computers on the network are showing Green as well. Corrected the ports on some that needed it as well.

Current status, 6 Green, 1 Gray (just waiting for it to speak up as the others have gradually done).

Wasn't able to put the SQL on the W2K server as it needed internet access to verify it. I intend to up it to SBS 2003 before too long anyway, which will solve that one, and a few other things.

Thanks very much for all your help so far Vlk, it's been invaluable.

I'll be sure to bug you if and when I have more issues ;D

HL