Author Topic: Internet Mail module (necessity?)  (Read 1717 times)

DaveD

Internet Mail module (necessity?)
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:41:10 AM »
What is the added benefit of installing the Internet Mail module in avast!?

I am all about keeping things simple. I personally don't see much point in mail scanners that act as a local proxy. The way I see it, any good real-time resident virus scanners would scan any e-mail attachment either when saving the attachment to the hard drive or upon executing it. Either way, it would get scanned and caught by resident protection. I don't think that any antivirus product really "needs" this. But please correct me if I am wrong.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Mail module (necessity?)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:52:21 AM »
1. a local proxy solution scans the emailand can delete it before it gets to your inbox.
2. it is easier to deal with avirus this way or rather it is harder to remove once established.
3. you might well lose your whole inbox if the AV can't extract an infected email from the database file that it is stored in, if that is the case the file can be deleted losing any other emails in the database.

But its your system and your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security