Author Topic: Can't run AVAST in safe mode?  (Read 5915 times)

REDACTED

Can't run AVAST in safe mode?
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:40 AM »
So, I use Malwarebytes for malware and AVAST for virii. Malwarebytes finds the same Malware on my PC on a daily basis, even on days when I don't do any web surfing. I get rid of the malware, but then it pops up again the next day. I figure there is a virus somewhere that keeps installing the malware, but AVAST finds nothing. A friend of mine suggested running AVAST in safe mode, because some hard to find viruses can be found that way. I boot in safe mode and try to run the virus scan in AVAST and it says something to the effect of "can't start scan because there are no endpoints in the endpoint mapper". Is this normal that you can't use AVAST in safe mode or is there something wrong with my version of AVAST?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can't run AVAST in safe mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:41 AM »
Start a new topic in V&W and post your logs there: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=post;board=4
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »
All viruses are malware, but not all malware are viruses.
It is pretty useless to scan while in safe mode because many things are not loaded and harmful things can be missed because of it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
Dastari, Avast now supports working as a 2nd (non resident) antivirus in "Passive Mode".
The best things in life are free.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
I'd ask the obvious question here and that is what is this malware that keeps returning?

Instead of worrying about any issues there might be running AVAST in Safe Mode or as a Boot Time scan wouldn't it be more sense to ask dastari to identify or at least be more specific about the nature of the actual problem he's trying deal with. It could be something with a relatively simple fix.   

The first thing to do when something is returning "on a daily basis" is to look in Startup. Annoying PUPs often install stuff there; you can get pop ads, toolbars you don't want and more malicious stuff too which Malwarebytes and AVAST might not have caught.

Easiest way to see what's there is installing CCleaner or similar program and using its Tools menu option. With Windows you can also run "MSConfig" and that will show you much the same things although not what might have attached itself to your browser or in scheduled tasks where PUPs and even legitimate software often put stuff you haven't asked for.

Failing that the small but useful program AutoRuns will show everything running on your machine automatically. You will need advice about what should be and should not be stopped, it is not for the inexperienced but it can help identify and remove the culprit if it is a PUP causing the problem rather than something nastier.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
I'd ask the obvious question here and that is what is this malware that keeps returning?
And that would be found out if he followed the advice given by Asyn