Author Topic: Help needed - avast killed my PC:/  (Read 2658 times)

Gregg

Help needed - avast killed my PC:/
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:54:12 AM »
Hi!

I've been using avast for several months on various PC's without any problems.
Originally I've installed it on my PC beck home, on my laptop, on my girlfriend's PC and laptop and on two other computers.

Yesterday I was asked by my landlady to help her out with her PC. It needed tidying up, spam removal and some general maintenance.
I've uninstalled redundant software, installed ad-aware and spybot, updated windows (she has xp home) and released some of its processing power by going to msconfig and killing off unnecessary startup processes like messenger and quick time.

After a reboot all was working fine (as usual) so I got down to installing Opera browser and then downloaded new avast.

After another reboot avast started the hard drive scan. He found some files he was unable to repair so I moved them to chest. Afterwards the windows loaded but immediately froze. I couldn't do anything except pressing the reset button.

I'm at a point when I can't load windows and after the usual screens with some "dos-like" information and tables I get a black screen with a blinking dash in the top left corner.

Is there any way to recover my system without reinstalling it? 

many thanx 4 all the help

KJ Beatz

Re: Help needed - avast killed my PC:/
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »
its not avast and i had a similar problem a few weeks back,i tryed everything but in the end i had to format the computer,but if u can load windows at some point try system restore.

Coris

Re: Help needed - avast killed my PC:/
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 03:21:51 PM »
Salut

Have you tried to start with the F8 command, then using

1 ) mode sans echec (sorry it's in french, it has to do with starting Windows without failure), then uninstall Avast, then reboot

2 ) or starting with last kwown good config ?

Will that help ?