Author Topic: Avast detected 'decompression bomb'  (Read 1664 times)

REDACTED

Avast detected 'decompression bomb'
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:28:39 AM »
Hey, forum newbie here ^^

Ran a scan after a run in with a dodgy link, it flagged a file as a 'decompression bomb' and didn't read it. When i then searched for the file directly, it was gone. Has avast dealt with the threat for me, or his it managed to hide itself somehow? Avast did not make any note that it had removed the problem, any help would be appreciated :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast detected 'decompression bomb'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
decompression bomb is just a highly compressed file that avast will not unpack and scan

If you search forum for decompression bomb you should find lots of info

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:51:44 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. I managed to find and remove the file myself after some research, however this morning I was notified that some of my passwords were compromised, as my avast scan is now coming up clean, is it safe to assume the threat has been removed with those files? Hoping that nothing is slipping through Avast's net and I would like to be able to safely set new passwords. Again any more advice or info would be appreciated :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
is it safe to assume the threat has been removed with those files?
What threat?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »
As I noted, at the same time as this decompression bomb was found and dealt with, I was notified that someone had attempted to access my accounts on several services using my passwords, considering how regularly I scan and this being the only time something has been spotted, it seems like too much of a coincidence. My confusion comes from the lack of any note to other malicious software found on the scan reports.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:47 AM »
If you want a check / assistance from an expert, follow instructions  >  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0