Author Topic: Avast safezone, why so slow?  (Read 4689 times)

REDACTED

Avast safezone, why so slow?
« on: August 24, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
I have several computers but often surf the web with an older Panasonic Toughbook (dual core, 2GB Ram, Win 7 64 bits). Living in the mountains, I do not have access to hi-speed ADSL Internet and currently use 3g network for all my Internet needs. So far, I have been using Firefox with ghostery and Noscript. Firefox regularly freezes but surfing speed is ok. I was happy to test Avast Safezone browser since I am sick of firefox regularly freezing. Unfortunately, Avast Safezone appears to be even slower than firefox. Although it blocks ads, it takes 4 times longer to load a page with SafeZone. My connection was already slow (but ok) with firefox. With Safezone, it is nearly unusable. Why is this?
When are we gonna have access to a safe and lightweight browser for those who do not live in big cities and have slow Internet connections? Are you not aware that many of your users live in areas where hi-speed optic fiber connection will never be available?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast safezone, why so slow?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
Run a speedtest with FF and the SafeZone browser and see if there is a difference.
http://www.speedtest.net/

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »
Thanks for your quick help. Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn't seem to work. I load onto a page but, when I click on "begin the test", nothing happens. I tried it both on SafeZone and Firefox and, in both cases, nothing happened. I might have another problem on my computer?  Anyhow, it is a good idea and I will try other "speedtest" sites to see if there is a difference between FF and SZ.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »
The site is working fine for me.

Anyway, if the speed-tests give the same results we know that it is not SafeZone browser slowing down the connection speed.
In that case, I suspect it renders pages slower.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »
 I have tried http://www.speedtest.net/fr/ on both FF and SZ
On firefox, I got: ping, 63ms, Download: 0,76mbps, upload 1,19 mbps
On SZ, adobe flash error, they sent me to the Beta site, where nothing happens when you click on "begin the test".
I'm done for tonight (I have to get up in 6 hours for work) but, so far, I will switch back to FF. From what I have tested, SZ seams worthless to me...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
That is strange since the SafeZone Browser comes with flash installed.
As I don't have avast installed anymore, I can't test it but will ask some people to do so.
If others have the same problem, it needs to be fixed by avast.

As for your problem, I suspect a problem with your system.
SZB slow loading, FF freezing that is not normal.
I suggest to get this tool > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/
Run it and attach FRST.txt and Addition.txt to your next post.
Perhaps we can find something.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »
Thanks for your help.
I downloaded FRST and ran a scan. Although I don't fully understand the results, it seems indeed that my system does have issues. How do you generate a fixlist?
Here are the results.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
Did you set a proxy server yourself ?

Some things indeed should/could be fixed, but I do not see anything that could be related to the problem.

I do have a small tool that can create a fixlist.
But it only checks certain standard things and things that I have in a database.
That means a person always have to check the logs manually too see if anything is missed by the tool.

The attached fixlist is what the tool generated.
Although I never had a report that it detected something wrongly, it is still (as you could call it) work in progress.
If you want to use the fixlist do so at your own risk, else wait for someone to have a closer look at the log files.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:05:26 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
No, I didn't set up a proxy myself. This computer was bought used 2 years ago, from an official Panasonic refurbisher. I Guess I did something wrong at one point. I will download the fixlist but might wait for other suggestions if you think it will not solve my problem.
To give you an idea of what I meant by "so slow", I timed both FF and SZ loading a simple page (meteociel weather forecast). With FF, it took 7 seconds to load the page while it took 36 seconds with SZ (!).