Author Topic: Downloaded Free Avast & Now My PC & Firefox Are Really Slow. Please Help!  (Read 1158 times)

REDACTED

I recently downloaded the Free Avast version after previously just using Microsoft Security Essentials. However, it has been abut 2 weeks now and, every time I start up my PC and, more especially when I try using Firefox everything is running really slow. For example, often the pages I am browsing won't load properly (keep buffering), as well as warning signs telling me that I have unresponsive plugins etc. Firefox is also telling me each time that my PC is slow and I am prompted to click on the "learn to how to speed it up" tab.  At first, what i did was to simple keep updating Firefox, this works for a while but I always keep getting the same problem.

I am not very teccy minded and just don't what else I am supposed to be doing. I also keep being asked whether or not I want to upgrade to the paid version of Avast. Now why on earth would I want to do this if it keeps making my PC go slow all the time?  Can anyone who is more knowledgeable  than me about these things please tell me in simple terms what I can do to stop this from happening? Otherwise I will just have to remove it completely from my PC and use an alternative free anti-virus. This is proving to be VERY frustrating, however I am hopeful that there is a simple solution. Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Make sure MSE is completely removed > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2435760

After doing so check if the problem is solved.
If not, perform a repair of avast and check again.
If still not solved, perform a clean installation of avast.

If still not solved, post details here like (not limited to) :
- Exact OS/SP
- Exact version of avast
- Other security (related) software installed (and/or the ones that where)
- System specifications
- If the problem also happens with other browsers
- FireFox version