Author Topic: 4.x Home without IE  (Read 3477 times)

ratbastardly

4.x Home without IE
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:49:46 AM »
No luck finding this info via search. I am planning a fresh install without IE, Outlook in W2K and Win ME. There will be none of the IE components left as in nLite or HFSlip w/ browser stripped out. Is this going to cause a problem in Avast? Does it rely on any of the components that will be involved?

Thanks,
rb

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: 4.x Home without IE
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:08:02 PM »
Avast is using some parts of IE for eg: the help file iirc.
There is a thread on this forum somewhere that explains it.

Edit:

Found it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10656.msg90875#msg90875
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 12:12:05 PM by Eddy »

ratbastardly

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:09:17 PM »
Thanks, Eddy. But to be more specific, if it is only the internet help I can live without it. I am getting rid of IE once and for all.

If anyone among the developers knows of any specific issues that will crop up by not having IE installed, it would be nice to know. Thanks.

rb

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:24:15 PM »
Well, since "Functional IE 4.0 or higher" is stated in avast!'s system requirements, I don't think anybody ever tested it without IE. So, I'm afraid I really don't know. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't... (at least for the Home version; the Enhanced User Interface of the Professional version certainly won't).
Another question is, what exactly means "none components left" means...

ratbastardly

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:13:34 AM »
"None of the components" as in http://www.vorck.com/remove-ie.html . The idea being to eliminate as many of the IE/Outlook exploits that are around. It really means everything to do with browsing via MS.

I installed Avast on a ME computer with almost no components. Everything seems to be working without the IE, but the help/splash crashes. Other than that it works okay. If that is the only thing that Avast uses, then there shouldn't any other problems.

I'll let the forum know what happens with a really clean install of W2K.
rb

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »
The splash screen probably uses the HTML component to display iNews, or something like that.
If you can give me details about the crash (module, address) and if the crash will be easy to fix, I can take a look at that.