Author Topic: Firewall  (Read 6243 times)

SteveD

Firewall
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »
Hi,

I have recently installed V 4.6 and it seems fine so far. (I previously used Norton Int. Security 2005 & systemworks 2005 and had just too many problems that crippled my laptop and made Office (2000)unusable. (The result of a corrupt file in an update download!!).

My question is, although I am currently using the Windows Firewall, I realize this is weak to say the least; do I need to replace this with something else & if so what recommendations are there out there that is compatable. I have tried zone alarm pro (trial) and it caused issues like Norton. Also, any suggestions for a spam filter (outlook 2000)? I have tried McAffees but was not too impressed (but then I was still having the Zone Alarm problems at that time.)

Any help & suggestions will be much appreciated, PS. I hope this is posted in the right place?

CharleyO

Re: Firewall
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:55:10 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Steve!    :)

Actually, it would be better to post questions about a firewall in the General forum.

I have used ZoneAlarm Free for many years without conflicts. But, I understand from other posts that some have problems with ZA Pro. Hopefully, someone else will post some info that can help you with the ZA Pro version as I know some here use it.

SteveD

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
Hi CharlieO,

thanks for your reply & for the tip re the General forum; if I get no other suggestions, I'll try the free version.

Thanks again.

SteveD.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:23:25 PM »
The ZAPro problem involves the privacy functions, if these are switched off ZA and Avast work perfectly together

viruzth

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 03:06:50 AM »
O'm using zone alarm free edition eith avast... they both of them running just like a just married couple ^^ very nice and not yet encounter.

I always install the avast first, and then when i install the zone alarm, avast give me a warning that The Web  Shield [avast] protection has problem with The privacy sumthing [ZA]... But i decide not to turn off the web shield, coz in Free ZA there is no that privacy sumthing... [forget tthe name]

fatboy_jt

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 02:36:56 AM »
I use sygate personal firewall (free) and it works fine with avast.  Also have the XP one running (as you cant be too carfull LOL). sygate allows you to easily tailor what can and cant get to the outside world, and will inform you if anything has changed and if you wish to allow access to internet. (ie every time my avast updates etc).

MFB

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 02:54:10 AM »
I use sygate personal firewall (free) and it works fine with avast.  Also have the XP one running (as you cant be too carfull LOL). sygate allows you to easily tailor what can and cant get to the outside world, and will inform you if anything has changed and if you wish to allow access to internet. (ie every time my avast updates etc).

Recommended that you keep just one firewall running cause they tend to conflict.   :)

fatboy_jt

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 03:15:42 AM »
Have been running both for 12 months without incident, as the sygate one gets hold of anything before micro$oft XP one. (only there incase something / someone disables sygate firewall - ie my pc is shared with the wife and the kids !! :o  :'( as you can see from my post times, I only get it when the all bugger off to bed LOL).

Thanks for the advice anyway.

neiby

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 06:40:51 AM »
I use Kerio Personal Firewall. It's a bit more secure than ZoneAlarm, or at least it used to be. I used to use ZA but the free version isn't as good as the free version of Kerio.

John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
Sygate's Personal Firewall solutions have been discontinued since they were bought out by Symantec. So it may be worth looking for an alternative option. Support will remain for a period but no further development.

Not to mention Sygate's localhost loopback issue where it doesn't recognise the parent program using a localhost proxy (just the proxy), so anything using the web shield proxy to connect to the internet won't be challenged by Sygate unless you don't use the web shield redirect HTTP and manually setup you browser to use the web shield proxy.

Even Microsoft don't recommend you use two firewalls together and they built XP's firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
Win Xp Sp2 Firewall is open ended. It only scans Inward bound , doesn't stop unsolicited outward traffic ( so they can Spy on us  ;D )
I use Zone Alarm free with Avast !. Neat package  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 04:49:12 PM by Abraxas »

brjoon1021

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 06:41:49 PM »
I use Kerio 4.2.x (the latest one). It is a free firewall, when you first download it, it is a Pro version with some features that will be disabled after 30 days.

There is a really good rules set for this firewall at Broadbandreports.com.  You can import that file using the import function of the firewall:   Overview > Preference > Import.

link for rules set: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708~mode=flat

There is a final version, look at the downloads before you do anything. I downloaded the standard editon final version. The advanced one seems to be for geeks. The maker of the rules set was not too hot on the 4.x version of Kerio in those days. It is better now. Many people still venerate the 2.x series of Kerio firewalls.

Kerio is my favorite. But, Filseclab, Netveda and Jetico are all ver nice. Check out the Wilders Security forums.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com
All three of those have a good reputation and all three are due, if not overdue, for updates that are reportedly coming from the companies. Zone Alarm has a nice interface but only gave me problems.

B.

stevejrc

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »
Recommended that you keep just one (software) firewall running cause they tend to conflict.   :)

Yeah. such as, neither firewall protecting you at random intervals, letting packets pass and so easier to hack. This will happen as they are likely to run at the same driver level, a momentary conflict/crash causes neither to block.

Plus user conflicts in whats allowed through each firewall.

Same conflicts can be found in 2 Anti-viruses